Original topic:

Note 9 screen discoloring and showing grain after March 2020 update

(Topic created on: 04-08-2020 05:11 PM)
srikrishnap
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy Note

I am on Latest build of Samsung Note 9 - India, with March security update on board. 

I noticed that my screen shows grain whenever the brightness auto adapts to lower levels, it doesn't get normal until I keep it locked for some time and then unlock. 

Model code:  N960F (INS)

Baseband number: N960FXXS5DTB6

Software version: One UI 2.0

Build Number: QP1A.190711.020.N960FXXS5DTB6

Android Version: 10

I tried to keep the auto brightness (adaptive) to off and yet this is happening occasionally when watching videos or pictures or simply pulling down the notification bar. 

I also Factory reset it today and I found it is happening right from start - during the setup screens. 

I am pretty disappointed something like an update is pushed and that breaks the quality of a device! 

It's livable but very annoying when you are showing a picture to someone and suddenly you see the screen becomes discolored and there are grainy black lines all over the display. 

Troubleshooting steps undergone:

1. Switch off Adaptive display - Issue persists

2. Boot to Safe Mode - Issue persists

3. Did a Factory Reset - Issue persists

4. Turned off Dark mode - Issue persists

5. Connected phone to PC with USB debugging ON - Issue persists

6. USB debugging turned off - Issue persists

7. Developer Options disabled - Issue persists

8. Wipe cache partition - Issue persists

The colors only seem to deteriorate based on the brightness slider. I think some thing has changed in the adaptive lighting or brightness that is causing this. 

I dragged the slider from 0 - 100 I notice the grain when it hits 20% to 70% after that the colors are slightly better  though but as soon as I reduce I see the grains and dark lines back. 

This is seen only after March update. 

Has anyone else faced it?

47 Comments
Galaxy Note
This is clearly a hardware issue.
0 Likes
azhar
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
yes I am also facing same problem in my galaxy s9 plus before android 10 update, but samsung not care about it. very disappointed.....
Siva117
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
i didn't understand what you are saying... can you make a video?
0 Likes
srikrishnap
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
this is just an example of how the screen gets discolored.
0 Likes
sunnykulkarni
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
this is not a software issue....
OLED screens have these problems of discoloration.. .due to usage of pixels this occurs...dont worry
keep ur brightness low,set the screen on FHD,and turn on basic mode in display
srikrishnap
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

I have my phone for about 1 year and 3 months now. I have honestly not used this phone to the extent It should cause a display failure. I am quite unconvinced that my usage could have led to the display burn in. I am however trying to attach a picture if possible to this thread so everyone can see what am referring to. 

sunnykulkarni
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
bro this not caused due to over usage...doesn't matter if u use it less or more..it is a common problem in OLED screens .even i am having same problems in my s8...
there are few apps on play store that can help u solve ur problem...
0 Likes
srikrishnap
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
I understand the concept of OLED displays my friend, the issue that am highlighting is not a burn in issue that would occur commonly with these displays. it is the entire display discoloring and grained out. Just check out the USA Samsung community you will find pictures of it.
And to your suggestion if I have to keep every setting to bare minimal than why should I buy a phone with these features built in and that too for a hefty price of 70000... that's sad really if I have to use the display with a basic setting turned on for a phone that is known for its display!
0 Likes
sunnykulkarni
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
ok..
then have you visited the nearest service center?
0 Likes