Original topic:

S10 battery life to the drain

(Topic created on: 07-05-2021 12:32 PM)
imsrivatsa
Active Level 7
Options
Galaxy S
My S10 hardly gets 2.5 hours of screen on time for a complete 100% charge.
The phone does get warm most part of the day.
There were days earlier in 2019 with Android P when I literally got over 6 hours of screen on time with no warming with around 1hour of Asphalt 9 in high graphics using only 20% battery. Asphalt 9 now uses 50% battery for 1 hour of gameplay.
Idle battery drain is also so horrible loosing 20% overnight.
I have tried factory reset of the phone, *#0228#* to reset the battery guage, used in safe mode with airplane mode on for 2 whole days. The results are still the same. It has only gotten horrible after the Android 11 upgrade.

Anybody has ideas I can try?
I don't believe this to be an old battery issue but more to do with software optimisation.

17 Comments
Chaman17
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
If battery drainage issue is happening after an update, wipe cache partition of device in recovery menu.
Also, I will suggest you to recalibrate the battery. Let me know if you need any help regarding this.
0 Likes
imsrivatsa
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
I have wiped cache from recovery multiple times now.
Can you guide me on recalibrating the battery?
Chaman17
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
Sure, here are the steps.
1.Discharge your phone fully until it turns itself off.
2.Turn it on again and let it turn itself off to ensure that there is absolutely no juice left in battery.
3.Plug your phone into a charger and, without turning/switching it on, let it charge until the on-screen says 100 percent.
4.Unplug your charger. Turn your phone on.

After this recalibration, use it for a good amount of time and check sot. And inform me the results,if possible.
0 Likes
imsrivatsa
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Thank you very much.
I have tried the above and am monitoring my discharge cycle and battery performance.
imsrivatsa
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
The same situation continues even now. Tried the calibration cycle twice now.
Let me possibly flash the stock ROM afresh and check for results.
Chaman17
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
Sorry for the late reply. Didn't get any notification apparently.
After calibrating the battery, I would suggest you to generally not fully charge your device to 100%. It decreases the battery life overall. Try to top it up to maybe 80-90% and again charge it when you're below 15-20%. Although, it's just a practice and won't increase your sot in any way.
Also, S10 has a relatively low battery, and since you have been using it for more than 2-3 years, battery issues are evident. Try to replace the battery if possible, it costs around 2k-3k.
0 Likes
Chaman17
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
You can try flashing the stock rom, but from my experience, you would get good sot for a few days, and after installing various apps, you might face issues again.
0 Likes
imsrivatsa
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Hi Chaman
Thanks for your response.
I suspect there's some bad software issue because the phone also gets quite warm with just web browsing and text messaging alongside draining nearly 1% in less than 2 minutes.
I shall review a battery replacement. I'm worried if after battery replacement the device would loose it's water resistant capability as the glass back panel wouldn't be as intact as when it is factory fitted.
Chaman17
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
Bad Software optimisation + not so efficient exynos processor. 😅
As for voiding water resistance during battery replacement, if you go to an authorized samsung service center, I don't think you would face any issue.
Battery is much more important than water resistance imo, and you can also put up with a strong phone case cover if you're sceptical.