Original topic:

M21 App Data Deletion

(Topic created on: 12-04-2020 02:53 PM)
KenMando
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy M

Somehow this phone keeps deleting my app's data in the main storage causing the app to both be unusable and crash on a brand new phone. The app understands the data is there. I cannot again download it until I clear the cache and data or reinstall the app. I have done both numerous times.

The app simply cannot access the data. After a short time of installation, the data is no longer accessible. The app has worked for years on previous Android phones. No other users report such issues. Sometimes the data is reflected in the Storage as still on the phone. Most of the time it is not.

The app is from a reputable company.  It is not malware. They cannot get it to behave in this manner in all their tests. It is device specific to my phone--the Samsung Galaxy M21.

This is my first Samsung purchase. I have plenty of storage as this is a new phone. I have nearly 100 GB free. The app only takes 5 GB.

Once I install the app and download its data upon signing in, the device shows the proper amount in Storage for a short period. The app works fine. After some time, all of a sudden without touching anything, it shows in Settings only the app's minimal MB instead of the full 5 GB of data for no reason. I did not ask it to optimize or clean.

I have taken all these steps.:

1) I have given the app permission for Storage. (How do I keep losing it???!!!???)

2) I have toggled for the app to be never put to sleep in Device Care under Battery.

3) I have toggled the app to never be cleaned in Device Care under Memory.

***There is no option in Device Care under Storage to toggle anything off.***

4) Elsewhere, I have toggled off Auto-Optimization, Optimize settings, Adaptive Battery, Ultra Data Savings, Auto scan for Malware, Adaptive power savings, Auto restart.

5) I have cleared both Cache and Storage in Settings under the app itself.

6) I redownloaded the app's data.

7) I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app on multiple occasions.

#8 I installed another (alternative) app. That app also has the same problem.

9) In both cases, I redownload the data and soon thereafter the phone deletes the data or makes it unavailable to the app. Sometimes Storage shows the data as there but under the app itself, it does not show up (either within the app or within the app's individual tab in Settings). Other times, it is not even reflected in the main Storage. I did not delete it nor seek it to be deleted. No scans or optimizations were scheduled or sought. All were in fact disabled.

10) Upon purchase, I immediately had already updated the phone to UI 2.5. It and the app is up to date.

11) Power mode is set to Optimized. There is no option for High Performance.

12) I updated the security engine in Device Care. 

13) I've run all the optimizations above and the reinstalled the app afterward and then before doing any of the phone itself deletes the data.

14) Google Play security is up-to-date.

15) Of course, the phone has been switched on and off multiple times. This has occurred over a couple of weeks.

Must I factory reset a brand new phone?

Please help!

7 Comments
KenMando
Active Level 1
Galaxy M

Can Samsung address this in an update in 3.0 or 3.1? How many updates will this phone receive?

How many years of Security Updates is it expected to garner?

0 Likes
knighty
Active Level 7
Galaxy M

Deep down under 'Device Care > Storage' there's an option called 'Auto Delete Unnecessary Data' under 'Storage Booster'. Toggle that off.

0 Likes
KenMando
Active Level 1
Galaxy M

Thanks! I will try that! 

0 Likes
KenMando
Active Level 1
Galaxy M
It would seem to be working! Thanks!
0 Likes
SathwikBikumalla
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy M
Many of my Files and Photos are being deleted from the phone out of my notice and are even not available in the recycle bin or anywhere else. How to fix it?
HECKER_Sr
Expert Level 3
Galaxy M
just like @kenmando suggests do that! it's so weird I downloaded songs from spotify premium and I set the Storage Optimization timer to 12'o clock in night and after 12'o clock I saw a huge file got cleared like 4GB and what I saw in the spotify app is completely empty and I got logged out of the app. This is completely nuisance because 4GB is hillarious to buy and that much internet also costs huge profit 😢
I am so sad that idk what to complain about this issue!
0 Likes
KenMando
Active Level 1
Galaxy M
Deep down under 'Device Care > Storage' there's an option called 'Auto Delete Unnecessary Data' under 'Storage Booster'. Toggle that off.