Original topic:

Where are we heading when we talk about the future of smartphones?

(Topic created on: 07-17-2022 03:46 PM)
Anikroyale
Expert Level 5
Options
Tech Talk
Hey guys, Anik this side.

I am back once again with an interesting topic for you guys to judge and evaluate. I was not very active in the tech section because I was traveling, but I am back home and now I am ready to take on, once again. 

So, today's question is:

"WHERE ARE WE HEADING WHEN WE TALK ABOUT THE FUTURE OF SMARTPHONES? ARE SLABS COMING TO AN END? ARE FOLDABLES AND ROLLABLES THE FUTURE?"

These questions arise because of several factors. If we look at the slab smartphone segment, pretty much every brand has reached a point where it is not possible to innovate at a very high pace, like for example, if we talk about the latest Samsung flagships, they are already at a point where it can do anything and everything you throw at it. Sure, there can be improvements to camera, heat management, efficiency, but how much? 

We can upgrade from a 108 MP sensor to a 200 MP one, but the 108 one is already good enough, so it will not make a massive difference. But if we look at the foldables, there are several things where improvements are necessary, like cameras and displays. 

So, what do you guys think? Are we going to see more foldables than slabs or are brands still going to make slabs, even though they are becoming arguably "boring"? 

Let me know your thoughts, and if you have a question or topic which I can make a post on, just write in the comments with the hashtag (#idea) and I will try to make a post about it. I encourage everyone reading this post to mention their valuable thoughts. 

So, that's all for today, I will see you soon, till then, stay happy and safe!
4 Comments
Joshuwa
Active Level 10
Tech Talk
#idea
I also think that the future is all about foldable, flip , rollable phones
Tech Talk
Foldable and Rollable yes it looks like Android future
Apple still stuck on slab

Foldable device is currently sensitive 🥺 and braking and repair costs 😔 😪
Further future may have strong Foldable and better costs but currently speaking slate and slab are good for everyday use . Samsung Galaxy Z Fold/Flip 4 has good cameras at least better than Samsung Galaxy Z Fold/Flip 1/2/3 . And yes its more durable but but but talking about software still many apps are not optimized for large tablets screen leave Foldable although Samsung apps are but many including Google apps are not optimized for large form factors and Foldable.
Foldable devices needs special attention so does Android 13 making all apps support multi window and large screen optimized to prepare for the future.

Hopefully you got me Anik bro 😊
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
Foldables are just phones which can be folded. There's nothing more in it. Smartphones have reached a peak point now. There's nothing truly revolutionizing happening in smartphones these days. Companies are just launching the same iteration of phones every month by just tweaking here and there and rebranding to just keep the revenue going, Ex, a52/a52s with a53 etc. The companies are running out of ideas. There's no new hardware, just the same screen/camera and just bumping the specs that's it. Previously it was 12nm then 8nm now 4nm. Even though foldables become normal then what? It's time companies put away with gimmiks and more importantly planned obsolescence. They shoud now focus on implementing deep AI and algorithms so that phones can blend with the user and not the other way round. Companies should focus on OS optimization, AI, small form factor, RAM management, better battery life, standard build quality rather than giving a useless 2mp/5mp macro. A typical user just wants the basics to be right.
Just shared some thoughts, please be free to leave your own
🙂🙏
Anikroyale
Expert Level 5
Tech Talk
Couldn't agree more with what you said! Great points!
0 Likes