Original topic:

Tab S7 Plus Keyboard case Function keys Issue

(Topic created on: 11-26-2020 11:37 PM)
ur2kill
Active Level 3
Options
Tablets
I want to change the default function of the Function keys(F1 to F12) from function keys to media/control keys.
Currently user have to presss and hold th 'Fn key' in combination to use the media function of the keys.

Almost no one ever use the Fn key, whereas the media keys are easily one of the most needed keys so why have samsung defaulted the key function to function keys.

Please give us a setting to change the function as it is present in most of the windows laptops since a 7-8 years.
ShaneH
Beginner Level 2
Tablets

I came upon this thread early in my search for making the media/control shortcuts the default over the seldomly used function keys. It confirmed that Samsung (as of yet) doesn't have a native way of doing so. Like everyone else in this thread, I saw this feature as essential to get full enjoyment from the Tab S7+. I kept on digging.

I eventually came across a user on Reddit with a solution to this problem. They recommended using the (completely free) Key Mapper app from the Google play store. This app is incredible. It allows us to remap the Function keys directly to actions, and so, so much more. It can be a little tricky to set up, but the app walks you through most of it and it has some great documenation and guides on its website. Here is the link to the app in the playstore:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.github.sds100.keymapper

This is an open source app, meaning the code is available for anyone to review. I gave it a look over, it does exactly what it says and does not collect any of your personal data. If you are worried about security I would implore that you review it as well. 

Instead of just leaving this link and calling it a day, I want write a little about how you should go about using this to remap your keyboards function keys. The app is a bit confusing at first, and this feels like my chance to give back to everyone who stumbles across this thread in their search.

1. Download the app and set up permissions

The app will walk you through the permissions it needs. The most important of which are Accessibility and Turning Off Battery Optimizer (for this app only). There are a couple of others that will alert you when assigning new key functions.

2. Setting up the key functions

You will need to assign each key Fn key manually one by one. This is a little tedious, but there are only 12 Fn keys so it could be worse.

DO NOT REPLACE THE FN KEYSTROKES WITH OTHER KEY PRESSES. Can't stress this enough, and it is the reason I'm writing this. To do this you need to replace your normal pop-up keyboard (I use Swiftkey, you probably use the built in Samsung keyboard). If you enable their keyboard to allow for key remapping to other keystrokes (Fn + F4 to decrease brightness), you will not be able to use your shortcuts in Dex mode. Dex mode is far to useful with the keyboard to do this, so instead:

3. Record your trigger (ex: F3), add an action, go to the "Other" catagory, and select the quick action for that key (F3 would be volume down)

Make sure when recording your triggers only press one function key at a time (ie: F1, F2, F3). You have to do each key individually. Only press the function key when doing this, do not press Fn + F3.

Every Fn quick action on the keyboard is represented inside the other category. The only one missing is disable touch pad on F6. You can still always press Fn + F6 to access it, so I made that key launch Spotify instead.

4. Once you get confident, get creative! I made F1 open my text messages and remapped the screenshot key to the back arrow. This app is really robust in its features.

5. If you get stuck or want deeper explanations of things there is a link to their website and their Discord within the app. The owner seems really active on both and happy to help people out.

Really hope at least one person finds this helpful! I know I'm much happier with my tablet after customizing those keys :)

ur2kill
Active Level 3
Tablets
haha will give it a try today, thanks
ps. i also use swiftkey but only in tab😅
0 Likes
erflesby
Active Level 1
Tablets

OK so this got my hopes up, but in the google play store it says this app is not compatible with my device. I'm using a tab S7+. How did you install it?

0 Likes
Mafo74
Beginner Level 3
Tablets

Thank you so much, that had been driving mad for ages, now I have it working for volume and screen brightnees but may add further functionality later on as oer your examples.  Good work! :)

0 Likes
dkeppler
Beginner Level 4
Tablets

It has been nearly two years I've been struggling with this, and your comment was absolutely so helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write it out. LEGEND!

0 Likes
dkeppler
Beginner Level 4
Tablets

Yep, I'm with you guys on this too. I think it's ridiculous. It's a first world problem, but still so easily fixed. Just hurry up with it Samsung.

darkfidget
Beginner Level 4
Tablets

after years of lurking these forumns, I finally signed in just to bump this post a lil lol

I guarantee most people use the shortcuts WAY more than the function keys. I get that they want to pose the s7+ as a full laptop replacement, but dang, an android tablet doesn't have nearly as much use for function keys as it does for things like media keys and NAVIGATION SHORTCUTS

Tablets

Really, Samsung? Get it together and fix the keyboard. Release an update and give the people what they want.

Thank you

mpiya
Beginner Level 2
Tablets

After searching around I found that we can locked-unlocked Fn key by press&hold it for 5s. There's no message indicated locked or unlocked but it works.

My keyboard is the new one with no touchpad but all the keys is the same as one with touchpad so I think it should be the same. 

ur2kill
Active Level 3
Tablets
no, I just tried it doesn't work.
You may be using some other non samsung keyboard cz samsung don't sell any touchpadless keyboard for tab s7+ or the one for tab S7 FE.
If yes does the tab S7 FE keyboard work on Tab S7+(just curious)