I have a dell Dock D6000 which I use with my dell laptop for work. The dell Dock is connected to 2 displays, 1 via HDMI and the other via VGA. It is also connected to a wired keyboard, a wireless mouse and ethernet. It uses a USB-C connector to connect with the laptop. Weirdly, I thought of connecting it with my Samsung Galaxy S9 and see what happens.
1. I connected the USB-C cable with my Galaxy S9, it started fast charging and in few seconds I got a pop up as "HDMI connected".
2. I was surprised to see a completely new, never before seen interface on the HDMI display. It loaded with a boot screen showing "Samsung Dex".
3. I had the mouse working, the keyboard working however the Internet via ethernet didn't work nor did the second monitor had a display. After some R&D, I was able to get a duplicate screen on the second display (After installing display link on my Galaxy S9). But that's not what I wanted. I wanted an extended display but seems Samsung Dex doesn't support it as of now. The screenshot was taken using the screenshot option in the bottom (tray).
4. I was able to set a wallpaper using my phone's gallery, have access to notifications, and all apps. Few apps support full screen view, few do not. We have an "alt-tab" feature as well to switch between recent open apps.
5. It gave me a great interface to use apps such as chrome, word, etc. It didn't feel as if I'm using these apps installed on my device.
6. I can use one UI on the device simultaneously with Samsung Dex on the screen with no lag on either.
7. The monitor that was connected via HDMI has an inbuilt speakers hence whatever I played on youtube or music player played audio using the inbuilt speakers.
8. There are recommended apps to be used with Samsung Dex as well.
9. Samsung Dex can also be used via your computer after installing Samsung Dex on your operating system and connecting your device via USB. However I find better when connected with the Dock.
10. Overall it is a great experience but there are few things that should also be supported - Internet via ethernet, extending displays to multiple displays.
1. Does the dell Dock works fine with a laptop? 2. When you connect it with your Tab S6, do you see fast charging? 3. Have you connected in "File transfer" mode? 4. After connecting do you see a Dex option that asks to "Start Now"? Do remember to click this so Dex starts. 5. After these things, Dex should start on your monitor and other accessories attached to your Dock should also work. I hope you have not disabled Dex app in your tab S6.