Original topic:

Galaxy S9 with dell Dock D6000 [Samsung Dex]

(Topic created on: 02-11-2020 11:33 PM)
Kinshuk05
Active Level 8
Options
Samsung DeX
I have a dell Dock D6000 which I use with my dell laptop for work. The dell Dock is connected to 2 displays, 1 via HDMI and the other via VGA. It is also connected to a wired keyboard, a wireless mouse and ethernet. It uses a USB-C connector to connect with the laptop. Weirdly, I thought of connecting it with my Samsung Galaxy S9 and see what happens.

1. I connected the USB-C cable with my Galaxy S9, it started fast charging and in few seconds I got a pop up as "HDMI connected".

2. I was surprised to see a completely new, never before seen interface on the HDMI display. It loaded with a boot screen showing "Samsung Dex". 

3. I had the mouse working, the keyboard working however the Internet via ethernet didn't work nor did the second monitor had a display. After some R&D, I was able to get a duplicate screen on the second display (After installing display link on my Galaxy S9). But that's not what I wanted. I wanted an extended display but seems Samsung Dex doesn't support it as of now. The screenshot was taken using the screenshot option in the bottom (tray). 

4. I was able to set a wallpaper using my phone's gallery, have access to notifications, and all apps. Few apps support full screen view, few do not. We have an "alt-tab" feature as well to switch between recent open apps. 

5. It gave me a great interface to use apps such as chrome, word, etc. It didn't feel as if I'm using these apps installed on my device. 

6. I can use one UI on the device simultaneously with Samsung Dex on the screen with no lag on either. 

7. The monitor that was connected via HDMI has an inbuilt speakers hence whatever I played on youtube or music player played audio using the inbuilt speakers. 

8. There are recommended apps to be used with Samsung Dex as well. 

9. Samsung Dex can also be used via your computer after installing Samsung Dex on your operating system and connecting your device via USB. However I find better when connected with the Dock. 

10. Overall it is a great experience but there are few things that should also be supported - Internet via ethernet, extending displays to multiple displays. 

#SamsungDex #SamsungGalaxyS9 #Awesome 

12 Comments
Aashish
Expert Level 4
Samsung DeX
Ethernet doesn't work?
0 Likes
Kinshuk05
Active Level 8
Samsung DeX
Nope. However the same ethernet worked when connected via USB to ethernet converter.
0 Likes
Samsung DeX
wow nice setup 😍😍
0 Likes
iobai
Beginner Level 2
Samsung DeX

Hi, I didn't manage to get my Tab S6 to work with this Dell D600 dock. Its charging but not showing anything on my monitor. Any help?

0 Likes
Kinshuk05
Active Level 8
Samsung DeX
1. Does the dell Dock works fine with a laptop?
2. When you connect it with your Tab S6, do you see fast charging?
3. Have you connected in "File transfer" mode?
4. After connecting do you see a Dex option that asks to "Start Now"? Do remember to click this so Dex starts.
5. After these things, Dex should start on your monitor and other accessories attached to your Dock should also work. I hope you have not disabled Dex app in your tab S6.
0 Likes
Ferreti
Beginner Level 2
Samsung DeX

Hi, it's don't working with my galaxy note 10+. Not appears the message about the start Dex Mode :(
Is there any way to fix this?

0 Likes
Kinshuk05
Active Level 8
Samsung DeX
What are you using to connect to hour note 10+? Is it a Docking station or a different connector?
0 Likes
Spyro689
Beginner Level 2
Samsung DeX

it's a wile but you have to activate developer mode and take the USB Debugging ON. After that it sould be aktivate your desktop :)

0 Likes
Goldstubstar85
Beginner Level 2
Samsung DeX

Hi There,

I just experienced DEX also when I connected my S21 Ultra to my works new thinkpad docking station.  I thought it was great! 

on my home set up I have a Dell D6000 so thought I would try the same thing, & it will not work.  Ive updated firmware etc, I can find the dex settings on phone but cant get it to work. 

When its plugged in the mouse & keyboard seem to be working on phone screen, but I cant get up the interface you have screen shotted that I was also able to see when connecting the phone to the ThinkPad Lenovo dock (which looks the same as the dell in everyway)

Ive got 2 monitors plugged into it via displayport.

Any idea what it might be?

0 Likes