Original topic:

PLEASE DISABLE "VOLUME DOWN" KEY + "POWER" KEY to TURN OFF MOBILE

(Topic created on: 04-25-2022 08:58 AM)
GalaxyUser18
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S

Dear Samsung,

I am using your Samsung galaxy devices since 2012 starting with Note 5, Note 8, Note 10, S8, S10 Plus, M51 and recently S20 FE 5g. I like the features of your phones when compared to other android devices. I was very confident of your device security feature KNOX until I lost my phone recently. That day I realized that your mobile security is just useless and **bleep**. Reason I am saying this is better explained in my experience below,

Day 1: Night

My mobile was stolen and I was not aware of it until 30 mins. I searched for my mobile but couldn't find it. Tried to reach my number but it was switched off by then. I had my biometric security lock enabled but still my mobile was switched off, How is it even possible? Very simple, I guess the thief knows some tech about samsung devices very well, he just pressed "Volume Down" key + "Power" key for 10 to 15 secs and voila it is turned off. 

I tried to track my mobile using this so called feature FindMyMobile.samsung.com but no use it was already turned off. What should I do now? I waited till morning without sleep if by chance it is turned on again.

Day 2: Morning

By God's grace, the thief was very kind hearted because he turned on my phone next morning. I was able to track the phone location and after some chase I could find the exact location of the phone and caught the thief red handed. Point to be noted here is my phone was formatted already by then and he was configuring it with all the settings. Finally it was good ending and it is not because of the security feature of Samsung but only because of kindness of the thief that he turned on my mobile again. 

My Dear SAMSUNG security development team, I request you to kindly consider thinking seriously about securing our phones with providing full control of the phone to the owners. Please allow us to control to enable/disable the keys(volume up/down, power etc) or else provide any security patch where users are not allowed to turn off the phone using any physical keys/buttons. Give us that confidence so that loyal customers like us will stay with Samsung going forward else not immediately but eventually all the Samsung users may shift to your competitors who provide better security for their devices(and money they invested on phone). Finally, we are spending money on your expensive phones to feel secured about our mobile and data.

PLEASE DISABLE "VOLUME UP/DOWN" KEY + "POWER" KEY to TURN OFF OR RESTART MOBILE

Similar request from other users,

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s/disable-quot-power-off-quot-when-holding-volume-down-an...

Thank you.

14 Comments
Edwin7878
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Wow thank God that u got ur device back 😄 😄..

That volume down +power key feature comes to use when our device hangs and stuck in a screen ...

But bro that feature doesn't make the device switch off ..
It restarts the device and this feature is used for what I said above ..

I tried it now and it restarts ..

Then how did he make the device switch off 🤔
GalaxyUser18
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Check this out bro
https://youtu.be/D51xCQtPFw8
Edwin7878
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
O this way ..

Great that u shared it ..
It's a must thing to fix ..
Sent error report to samsung ..

But bro in case we forget the password and If we need to fix this then this is the way .
GalaxyUser18
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Yeah bro, in one way helpful for us if we forget password but easy way for others if stolen 😄...Samsung must find another solution if we forget our password but definitely not this method
Edwin7878
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Correct ...
There should be another method and that too only the owner can fix it ..
0 Likes
NormalMan
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Your opinion is correct.
Galaxy S
Ye shi baat khi aapne...mereko aisaa lag rha hai ki sim ko nikal diya tha
Galaxy S
This is very helpful. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Samsung should do this asap
Sid_Karna
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Bro,how did you deal with the thief? Is the find my phone location feature that accurate?
Anyway, it's not the "kindness " of the thief. He had to turn it on eventually, right ? Otherwise, what's the use of stealing it? 😊