Original topic:

Note9 screen discoloration: Samsung really cares...

(Topic created on: 12-12-2020 03:11 PM)
HVR
Active Level 4
Options
Galaxy Note
So got my #FOCApproved repaired note9 back from the sc today. The overall process took 7days. This is a detailed account of my experience, I hope it helps someone in need. FOC=free of charge.

The issue: 

Greenish/yellowish tint on the screen with discoloration, pixelation and screen lag. The steps: On the very first day itself I sent out an email to the customer care(cc)stating the issue and the troubleshooting done by me to fix it such as Booting in safe mode, factory resetting the device. I was advised to visit the service center(sc) by the cc for physical inspection of the device and further resolution of the issue. Note down the reference number for this email which you ll get through a sms
 A few tips before taking the device to sc:

1. Thoroughly inspect your device for any physical damage and liquid damage. Chances are that in case of any of the two your possibilities of getting a FOC will reduce drastically. Physical damage= broken, cracked or deeply scratched display or back glass panel. Dented side chrome or the top or bottom of the phone which clearly shows signs of impact. Liquid damage=phone damaged due to entry of water or any other liquid in it. A quick way of checking for this is mentioned in this below article https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001077/ 3. If your phone has neither of 1 or 2 above, I strongly recommend that you take a good number of photographs of your device from all angles including the liquid damage indicator. Make a video the device at all angles. Note down the serial and imei no.

The liquid damage indicator : white and cross = no damage,Full red = liquid damage

At the service center: 
Once you are at the service center keep your calm no matter what. Chances are that if you are living in a metro the sc would have already heard of this issue and they will deal with it accordingly. If you are in any other tier 2 or 1 city you may possibly have to explain the issue to the guys at sc. Remember the sc has no role in approval and their simple purpose here is to perform the repair. So explain the issue to them and how it's widespread and affecting everyone around the globe. And how samsung is offering foc to it's customer. The latter tier 2 case happened with me and I had to explain a good deal to the sc about the matter, the good part was they were keen on listening to the issue. But were hesitant on keeping the phone as initially they had quoted me a price of 14k+taxes. But I very politely told them that this is something beyond their authority and I was asked by customer care to deposit the phone here for physical inspection. Someone from the CEOs desk will be getting in touch with them in the next couple of days to resolve this(mention this line specifically). Now once the sc decides to keep your phone they will give you a job sheet. Make it your life's mission to have them mention the physical condition of your device and the water damage status on that sheet. Chances are they will be hesitant to do so but hold your ground. If they do not find any physical or liquid damage in the physical inspection, have them mention this on the jobsheet under remarks as "no physical and liquid damage found in external physical inspection" 

Taking up the matter with ceo desk: 

Once you are back from the service center straight up write an email to the ceo desk explaining the issue, your experience at the sc along with a copy of the jobsheet. Max by next working day you'll get a call from them asking you about the issue and then from there, they will on their own coordinate with the service center. In my case it was a real smooth experience and both the sc and the representative from samsung kept me up to date with what's happening with my device. If your foc is getting rejected due to some minor dent or damage, please be persistent but polite. The sc has no say in it...and if you explain your reasons well and politely the chances are both the sc and samsung will make an exception and grant you the foc. Your device will take avg7-10 from submitting to delivery. You have to understand that this is a both time taking and a coordination job. The executives are there to help you and they are humans too. So prepare yourself accordingly. Speak politely with anyone even if they are not listening to your reason. You can always redirect your concern to another executive at the ceo desk by sending a fresh mail. Bottomline is samsung is owning up its fault and that says a lot about the brand, so be patient and polite throughout the process and it will be an easy sail through to get the foc, if your device is not majorly damaged.

Kudos to samsung India team for all their efforts and support! 

Although I would add that the sc did a bad job at Quality control as there is dust inside the camera housing both on the lens and the covers.

12 Comments
Anikroyale
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Great post man! I also made a post ony service center experience.
Nick95
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
what is FOC?
0 Likes
HVR
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
foc=free of charge, it means the company will replace your screen without charging you anything. even if your phone is out of warranty.
0 Likes
GeekGuy
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
foc? can you explain a little bit more?
0 Likes
HVR
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
foc=free of charge, it means the company will replace your screen without charging you anything. even if your phone is out of warranty.
0 Likes
Nick95
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
oh! But why would they not charge you if your phone is out of warranty?(unless you have taken extended warranty).
0 Likes
Anikroyale
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Because in this case, the company is at fault.
0 Likes
Nick95
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
Company doesn't offer free replacement of anything after warranty, unless in some rare cases it is known issue in large number of unit and company has already publicly stated about free part replacement (which is very rare,Samsung did that with their battery replacement etc).
0 Likes
HVR
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
google note9 screen discoloration, you will have to do some reading but will find answers to all your questions and samsung is tackling the issue globally.
0 Likes