Original topic:

Flash memory

(Topic created on: 05-29-2020 12:47 PM)
drrs
Active Level 7
Options
Tech Talk
Hey folks, Samsung has posted this week's new topic "Flash memory". To be honest, I didn't even knew that there is a thing known as flash memory. But thanks to Samsung members, as it came up with this subject and I got  got a chance to  learn something new about computer and robotics. And that's why I came up with the decision that this time won't post my "original" content as there is high risks that I might write something wrong or controversial (as I'm new with this topic and just read about it from the internet and not from any authentic book/person) and I want to readers to get confused or know something inaccurate as what we call it in hindi "अधूरा ज्ञान खतरनाक है" (Google enlgish translation- Incomplete knowledge is something very dangerous) I'm gonna copy content from different sites and try to cover it as much as possible.

Hello, I'm Ritvik Sharma; A tech curious  and an undergraduate student of medicine in Udaipur  Before I continue my blog further, I hope you all are doing good. Don't leave house until lockdown is called off. Wear mask, maintain hygiene and wash formites regularly. #Stayhomestaysafe

Source: Internet

What is Flash memory?
Flash memory is a non-volatile memory chip used for storage and for transfering data between a personal computer (PC) and digital devices. It has the ability to be electronically reprogrammed and erased. It is often found in USB flash drives, MP3 players, digital cameras and solid-state drives. This  nonvolatile memory that erases data in units called blocks and rewrites data at the byte level.

How it works?
Flash memory architecture includes a memory array stacked with a large number of flash cells. A basic flash memory cell consists of a storage transistor with a control gate and a floating gate, which is insulated from the rest of the transistor by a thin dielectric material or oxide layer. The floating gate stores the electrical charge and controls the flow of the electrical current.
Electrons are added to or removed from the floating gate to change the storage transistor's threshold voltage. Changing the voltage affects whether a cell is programmed as a zero or a one.

What are the uses of flash memory?
The Flash Memory technology has evolved into the preferred storage media for a variety of consumer and industrial devices.
In consumer devices, Flash Memory is Widely used in:
• Notebook computers
• Digital cameras
• Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs)
• Cell phones
• Global Positioning Systems (GPS)
• Electronic musical instruments
• Solid-state music players such as
• Television set-top boxes
• MP3 players
• Pagers
• Personal computers
In Industrial Devices, Flash Memory is Widely used:
• Security systems
• Military systems
• Embedded computers
• Solid-state disk drives
• Networking and communication products
• Wireless communication devices
• Retail management products (e.g., handheld scanners)
• Medical products

Types of flash memory?
There are two types of flash memory: NOR flash and NAND flash

NOR flash memory can be execute in place (XIP) memory, meaning that programs stored in NOR flash can be executed directly from the NOR flash without needing to be copied into RAM first.NOR has a high transfer efficiency and high cost effectiveness in small capacity of 1 - 4 MB, but comparatively, it has a slow write and erase speeds.

Where as NAND flash memory can be accessed much like block devices, such as hard disks. NAND is best suited to systems requiring high capacity data storage. It offers higher densities, larger capacities, and lower cost. It has faster erases, sequential writes, and sequential reads.NAND flash memory forms the core of the removable USB storage devices known as USB flash drives, as well as most memory card formats and solid-state drives available today.

NAND vs NOR flash memory

Advantages of Flash memory 
• Increased durability
• Maximum portability
• Plenty of storage capacity 
• Faster transfer speeds
• Compatibility with many devices
• It saves data when power is OFF. It is non-volatile and hence preserve state without any power.
• Low power consumption than traditional hard disk drives
• Work more quietly than physical hard drive

Hard disks of earlier computers having only 5 mb each. Source:Internet

Limitations of flash memory?
• Flash memory cells have a limited number of write and erase cycles before failing.
• Most flash drives do not have have a write-protection mechanism
• Smaller size devices, such as flash drives make them easier to lose
• Currently costs a lot more per gigabyte than traditional hard drives for large storage capacities.
• May require a special version of a program to run on a flash-based drive to protect from prematurely wearing out the drive.

With that I would end this blog. I'm really sorry that I can't give you my orignal content.

Thank you
7 Comments
Abhishhh
Active Level 7
Tech Talk
Hi @drrs!! Do you know when the company is rolling out slomo, timelapse , & night mode in samsung a31 device? 
#a31
drrs
Active Level 7
Tech Talk
yeah...it's a very good phone
Abhishhh
Active Level 7
Tech Talk
Brother, if you're into the panel discussion of samsung then please do have a deep look on this topic. Because although company has launched this product 5months ago but, even till today this topic has kinda disappointed the a31 customers. Thank you bro!!
Tech Talk
0 Likes
animeshmodi
Expert Level 5
Tech Talk
🙏🙏🙏Please address this latest issues too,

1. Some galaxy M and galaxy a series users with exynos 9611 facing restarting and hanging issues after last update. And service centre asking them to change motherboard for 6k-8k, is this what we can expect from samsung? (BA's including @CrazyBoy28 informed but Samsung ignored)
2. F62 users facing slow internet issues, which can easily solved by enabling 4g+.
3. M51 is a NFC supported device then also Samsung pay mini given instead of full samsung pay. Users dissapointed so much.
4. Basic features such as screen recording and carrier aggregation are not enabled in M and F series users. Samsung should not limit basic features like this.
5. You tell to share error reports and feedbacks.Ok,
but we receive bot like copy paste replies and most of the time insensible. We don't expect this.
Tech Talk
Wow
0 Likes
moudul6
Active Level 2
Tech Talk
0 Likes