Original topic:

Indian smartphone market might see a big change next year

(Topic created on: 12-27-2019 07:04 PM)
ADSoomeet
Active Level 8
Options
Others
Major smartphone brands in India, including Samsung, Vivo, Oppo, and Realme have reportedly agreed in writing to end online-exclusive models starting next year. If these companies stick to their word, the Indian smartphone market in 2020 could see the launch of new models at the same time, for the same price, and with the same offers in both online and offline sales channels.

Xiaomi, the company which kickstarted the trend of online-first and online-exclusive sales tactics, has not made any such promise as of now. If the biggest smartphone brand in India doesn’t back the move to level the playing field for online and offline retailers in the country, other brands may find it challenging to go ahead with their plans.

This move may also see a heavy pushback from online retailers. The likes of Flipkart and Amazon have used online-only smartphone models to expand their business in India rapidly, and they are not going to relinquish that advantage without a fight.

Samsung has profited heavily from it's online-exclusive Galaxy M series this year, and this latest turn of events might not help the company's cause.

However, if all the OEMs play by this rule, then it's a very welcome move I'd say. What are your thoughts Members?
5 Comments
Rishikanji
Active Level 10
Others
but Chinese players other than oppo and vivo i don't think will agree
0 Likes
ADSoomeet
Active Level 8
Others
Yes. That'll lead to an unfair competition. Hopefully there will be some rules set to make things fair. Let's wait and watch.
Others
I hope we customers won't have to suffer with high prices dues to this in the end.
Others
Indian smartphone market is driving the smartphone industry forward. Due to price sensitivity, we are getting great devices for less price. At the end of the day, customer is the real winner! 😉
Manojtomer
Active Level 8
Others
Good
0 Likes