Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

What's the current size of system files on s23 (8/128)?

(Topic created on: 2 weeks ago)
DexMaster
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
With the latest OneUI6.1 update samsung has pushed their exclusive AI features to their previous year's s23 lineup which were unique to their s24 lineup till the date. So yeah I have made a decision to purchase a new s23 (8/128 variant) but I'm sort of unsure about the limited storage space offered after deducing the current size of system files on a s23 (8/128 variant) and whether this limited space would suffice my usage habits or not. So I'm addressing and requesting users using s23 (8/128) with latest software patches installed on their device to check for the current size of system files on their individual device and comment down the same. This would really help in finalising my decision to upgrade to a new device and provide me with a better perspective to make a choice between the variants that would better suit my usage habits in the long run. That would really help👍🏻

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
IndianJatt
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Choosing the 256 GB variant of the Galaxy S23 over the 128 GB version could be a better option for several reasons:

1. Storage Speed: The 256 GB version uses the newer UFS 4.0 storage chip, which offers faster sequential read and write speeds compared to the UFS 3.1 chip in the 128 GB version. This means quicker boot times, faster app loading, and smoother game performance.

2. Future-Proofing: With higher storage capacity, you’ll have more space for future apps, updates, media files, and other content, which can be particularly important as file sizes continue to grow.

3. No MicroSD Expansion: The Galaxy S23 series does not include a microSD card slot for storage expansion, so opting for a larger internal storage from the start can be more convenient.

Please if you find it helpful, accept it as solution by tapping on three dots on the top right corner of the comment.

View solution in context

Solution
IndianJatt
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
I think there wouldn't be much difference in the costs of two variants. But keeping your device future proof and speedy is not a bad choice. If you are going to keep this phone for next 3-4 years, I will strongly recommend to opt for 256 GB version. But decision is yours....

View solution in context

7 Comments
IndianJatt
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Better to go with 256 GB version.
DexMaster
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Okay then what should be the reason(s) to consider the higher variant?
Solution
IndianJatt
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Choosing the 256 GB variant of the Galaxy S23 over the 128 GB version could be a better option for several reasons:

1. Storage Speed: The 256 GB version uses the newer UFS 4.0 storage chip, which offers faster sequential read and write speeds compared to the UFS 3.1 chip in the 128 GB version. This means quicker boot times, faster app loading, and smoother game performance.

2. Future-Proofing: With higher storage capacity, you’ll have more space for future apps, updates, media files, and other content, which can be particularly important as file sizes continue to grow.

3. No MicroSD Expansion: The Galaxy S23 series does not include a microSD card slot for storage expansion, so opting for a larger internal storage from the start can be more convenient.

Please if you find it helpful, accept it as solution by tapping on three dots on the top right corner of the comment.
IndianJatt
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Thanks 😊
DexMaster
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
The reasons to consider the higher variant are valid but honestly I'm still in confusion cause if I tailor my usage habits with the hardware I would be investing in, clearly that would stand unused in my case. My usage habit is very much clean that includes primarily using WhatsApp, Camera to capture the moments I come across everyday, basic call receiving and calling, watching content on YouTube, listening music and ocassional gaming when someone's around for online games (probably when I meet my cousins and that's unsure) also I don't use social media platforms or anything like Netflix either😂. Evaluating the usage habits, I find the higher variant sort of unuseful cause my usage won't demand the software and the hardware to the extend to which they are easily capable to offer. Additionally I opt for a factory reset once a year that replenshes the hardware and software of the device after I back up the data over to my SSD. On considering the higher variant I have to spend more and that's where I understand that the hardware would stand unuseable for me. Still the questions of future proofing and whether I would get that seamless user experience in long run with the limited storage space or not, hover over my mind and that's why I posted this query. Also one thing that should be mentioned here is that if I upgrade to this device I would surely be using it for the next 3-4 years straight and with this note I would like to seek your suggestion now.👍🏻
Solution
IndianJatt
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
I think there wouldn't be much difference in the costs of two variants. But keeping your device future proof and speedy is not a bad choice. If you are going to keep this phone for next 3-4 years, I will strongly recommend to opt for 256 GB version. But decision is yours....
DexMaster
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Yeah considering the latest releases with the base variant being packed with 256GB of Rom, I totally agree with the concept of future proofing and since I have mentioned that i will be using the device for next 3-4 years
I should be concerned about my device being future proofed. Indeed the future apps, updates, media files and others will significantly grow with time and the growth has started as if we consider the trends from latest flagship smartphone releases. If the price difference between the variants won't be higher then i'll surely go for the 256 GB variants. I seriously don't want the device to cause issue due to its hardware related limitations in the long run and that's the main reason behind the post. Evaluating your suggestions i found it better to invest in future proofing cause surely the tech is going be demanding in the next few years.Thanks for helping me out😁👍🏻.