Original topic:

Installing and running Ubuntu and other Linux OS flavors on your android phone

(Topic created on: 02-22-2020 10:45 AM)
RakNK
Active Level 4
Options
Tech Talk

How to install Ubuntu and other versions of Linux on your Android device

For this to work you will need a rooted Android device. Rooting your device is usually a fairly simple process but note that it varies from device to device, so I can’t give you a walkthrough here.

Once that’s done, you’ll need three apps:

First install BusyBox. BusyBox gives your phone access to Linux commands that it wouldn’t otherwise have and is required for a number of root apps to work. Once you’ve installed it though, you don’t need to worry about it again.

Open up Linux Deploy and make sure it has root access. Now hit the small download button on the top or bottom right of the screen. This will bring you to the options menu. Most of the settings in here can be left as they are but this is where you’ll select your Linux distribution. Everything is here from Debian and Ubuntu to Kali Linux, Gentoo, Fedora and more. Picking the suite will change the ‘flavor’ of Linux. You can try them all or you can do a little research and choose whichever you like the looks of most.

Down the bottom you can also choose which Desktop environment you like, which will change the look and feel of the app. Tick ‘Enable’ under GUI to ensure you have a graphical interface to work with and check out the GUI Settings just below to change things like the resolution. For my Galaxy S6 Edge Plus I find that 1024×576 works best but you can toy around with this later. Set your user name to ‘root’ to give yourself privileged access and make a note of the password or change it to something more memorable.

Now click the menu that looks like three dots and choose ‘Install’. This will take a little while but will install the entire Linux distro on your device. Click the ‘Start’ button to run it in ‘chroot’ – essentially a small sub-compartment on your device.

Finally, you’ll use VNC Viewer in order to actually view the GUI. Load it up and set the address to ‘localhost:5900’. Then enter the password that you set earlier.

And with that as long as your version of Linus is running you’ll be golden! Now if you want start adding more software head into the Terminal and type:

• Apt-get install libreoffice – For LibreOffice
  • Apt-get install iceweasel For Firefox
  • Apt-get install idle – For Python Idle
  • Apt-get install gimp – For GIMP
  • Apt-get install nautilus-dropbox – For DropBox
  • Apt-get install software-center – For an ‘app store’, although this wouldn’t run on my distro

There are plenty more but that should be enough to get you started. You should also run ‘apt-get update’ at some point to ensure everything is up-to-date.

Other than that, grab yourself a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and get to work!

Note :
rooting device voids warranty and breaks knox enabled apps.
6 Comments
_007
Expert Level 4
Tech Talk

Nice post,but you didn't mention that rooting device voids warranty and breaks knox enabled apps.

RakNK
Active Level 4
Tech Talk
Thanks. I have added it as a cautionary note.
But friend, the key to rooting your phone without tripping the KNOX warranty void lies in using the right app.

Even the Samsung users whose devices have a built in Samsung Knox Security System can enjoy the results using iRoot with impunity. However, you have to disable Knox in your phone before trying to root it.

You can find more such tools like that at https://www.technorms.com/45622/root-your-android-device-without-voiding-the-warranty

_007
Expert Level 4
Tech Talk

Is there anyway to disable knox before rooting?Were you able to root your phone without tripping knox?Because every time I have rooted my phone,the knox was tripped.Also Knox is like a Efuse in phone, once tripped then it can't be restored to its original state.

RakNK
Active Level 4
Tech Talk
Bit risky to suggest any :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye: ... Some may work for some ppl on some model of phones and some may not... I usually try any of these tricks on my old phone and dont do any experiments on handset being used currently.
I would suggest to follow the official portal https://support.samsungknox.com/hc/en-us/categories/115001950368
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
does not want to root any more it's too dangerous man more over the problem comes with rooting is unable to use the services like Samsung pay and samsung health
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
and why to compromise the security layer after all
0 Likes