Original topic:

Battery charging customisable limit (eg. 80%)

(Topic created on: 06-15-2020 08:09 AM)
vitavita
Active Level 3
Options
Tech Talk
Hello I read that limitting battery charging limit to 80% can increase battery life around 2 times. I heard it is even implemented in ROG phone. And it is super easy to add this simple setting. 

Since I have an experience with my old galaxy note 3 where battery died after like 2.5 year and I needed to buy new one, I would like to set charging limit to 80% in my new samsung M21. Especially because in this model battery is not user replacable and I want to use my phone more than 2 years. Is some option to do that? Or are you planning to add this feature to settings in new software update? I saw an application already ready made but it works only on rooted phones and I do not want to root my phone.

Here is the article saying that 80% charging cap limit can prolong battery cycles from 400 to 800: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

0 Likes
7 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk

let me tell you one thing clear if you completely dry out the battery to zero and then charge it from there then it counts a cycle , then if you do top up charging then its is good for the battery health charging from 20 percent is also dangerous you always see 20 percent red mark that is the mark of cycle charging 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk

there is no need to set the 80 per cent limit at all if you do zero to 100 that's where most of the people don't understand about it people tend to charge it from the 0 per cent which leads to damage to battery mud collection and weaken the chemical reactions 

0 Likes
Ankit141
Active Level 4
Tech Talk
TOi are right bro.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk

so its better not to dry out the batter completely or dry out the battery towards 20 percent make this habit of topping up battery this will reduce the cycle count 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk

this article is complete hoax I know most of you will still don't agree with chad jao ke bina puri baat sunne 

0 Likes
vitavita
Active Level 3
Tech Talk
Sir that article is from Isidor Buchmann who wrote successful book about batteries: Batteries in a Portable World: A Handbook on Rechargeable Batteries for Non-Engineers
The article cites from science studies by professionals eg.:
Journal of Power Sources: Factors that affect cycle-life and possible degradation mechanisms of a Li-ion cell based on LiCoO2
or
From article "Extending battery lifetime by avoiding high SOC" Published in
Applied Sciences (Switzerland) written by professor from Chalmers university.
So sir if you are not a professor from oxford then your comment is the hoax much rather than the article...
But the information that you provided that li ion batteries shall not be depleated to 0% is correct.
And if you would read the article then you would find out that this information is there also...
0 Likes
vitavita
Active Level 3
Tech Talk
Wow there is HW solution fo $20. The switch that disconnect charger automatically controlled over Bluetooth through phone app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ble.chargie

It is a shame that simple thing which can be easily added to phone settings are not only missing, but even API is hidden behind root or even not provided at all :( .
Maybe someone from Samsung wakes up when ROG phone already has setting for it and now ppl did even HW...
0 Likes