Original topic:

Antivirus In Android 2019?🤔💥

(Topic created on: 09-28-2019 10:26 AM)
Abhy
★★
Options
Tech Talk

Antivirus Hero

“Antivirus” as a buzzword has been on the slide over the last decade. Fifteen to twenty years ago it was virally popular, but times have changed and operating systems have become largely self-sufficient when it comes to security.  So what about the situation of Antivirus on our Android devices.

Android over the years has evolved a lot like any other operating system should do. Monthly security updates, vulnerability fixes. 

For example the Our very own Samsung gives built in Security feature which is in association with the leader in Antivirus programs i.e McAfee 

So does this answer the question that do we need External antivirus program not yet...let's read ahead

What Kind of Android User Are You?

Android is a vast ecosystem that’s built its reputation on its relative openness compared to something like iOS. You can download apps and APKs from anywhere, you can root your device and overhaul it with a different Android-based operating system. 
The more adventurous you are as an Android user, the more likely you are to cause your device harm, but you probably already know that and take the necessary precautions. One thing to be wary of, for example, is downloading apps (APKs) from outside the Play Store. (To do this you need to “Allow Unknown sources” from your phone’s settings.)  

Once you’re downloading APKs from third-party sites, the protections in the Play Store can’t help you, and you’re on your own. Unless you’re absolutely confident about the source of your non-Play Store apps, you should 
Consider an Android antivirus app to provide that extra protection.

Google Play Store Isn’t 100% Safe

Android has grown into a pretty tightly secure OS over the years. Alongside a constant stream of incremental improvements, in 2017 Google introduced Play Protect which uses machine learning to scan the Play Store for malicious apps and purges them. Play Protect also scans apps locally on your device. You can run a scan manually by going to the Play Store app, selecting “My apps & games,” then under “Updates” tapping the “Refresh” icon near the top of the screen. 

Play Protect

Android News Flash 
Just last year several apps – posing as alarm clocks and QR code scanners – containing the AsiaHitGroup Trojan were discovered on the Play Store, but not before tens of thousands of users downloaded them.
Play Protect is a great feature, but it’s not completely watertight, and it’s rare that half a year goes by without a story about some kind of malicious apps on the Google Play Store.

So What Should You Do?

The simplest advice to give is “Don’t download apps if you’re not sure what they are.” 

Malicious apps are far and away the biggest threat to your Android security, so you should always double-check the legitimacy of your app before you download it. Has it received the “Editor’s Choice” award on the Play Store? If so, it’s definitely fine. Is it from a reputable developer? Does it have good ratings? 

Implementing the above approach, I’ve never felt the need to download a third-party antivirus. However, if you’re still afraid that you might download something you shouldn’t, then we already know that Android’s defences aren’t guaranteed to protect. 

Though I dont download any unknown APKS so I depend on the inbuilt Security manager of the phone. But to each his own...if ur into downloading Unknown sources APKS, visiting malicious websites etc In that case, an Android antivirus app might be just what you need. 

Have anything you want to share or add or subtract...pls be free to do so.

Peace out✌😃

3 Comments
ankit12334
Active Level 6
Tech Talk
good
0 Likes
Tech Talk
Thanks
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
exactly I have only installed Samsung apps like Samsung health Samsung pay. I was never so sure about the games so I dont download games on android devices they are too risky so I am afraid of installing games either from play store nor from any other sources . neither I down load any apks from third party sources. they are far to dangerous.
0 Likes