Original topic:

eSIM functionality feature with the One UI 3.1 update On Samsung Galaxy S20

(Topic created on: 02-24-2021 03:47 PM)
Abdul_Rahman
Active Level 9
Options
Galaxy S

Samsung started rolling out the One UI 3.1 update for various devices including the Galaxy S20 series recently. Along with the update, it seemed to have enabled the eSIM functionality in regions like India.

As reported by Piunikaweb, the One UI 3.1 update for India has the firmware version G98xFXXU6DUB5. It weighs 1246.69MB and brings the latest UI to the Galaxy S20+(SM-G985F) variant. Certain users in Samsung community forums have confirmed that e-SIM functionality is enabled after this update.

As you can see below, the screenshot on the forums shows the eSIM options inside settings-> SIM Card Manager. If you recall, Samsung launched the Galaxy S20 series in February 2020. Back then, the devices in India had the support for eSIM but Samsung had disabled it.

So, for using a secondary SIM card, one had to take out the memory card out and use the slot for another network. For the unware, Samsung Galaxy S20 comes with a Hybrid-SIM slot i.e., users can use a nano-SIM + microSD card or two nano-SIMs at a time.

Anyway, with eSIM enabled, you can now use the device with two networks and an SD card simultaneously.

Also, that’s not the only thing the One UI 3.1 update brings to the table. Just like other regions(South Korea, UK, Europe), the Indian region also brings Improved performance, Private Share, GPS location data removal on Images, more Lock screen widgets, Background Video Calling, Zoom Lock(in camera), and more.

That said, the update should enable the eSIM features for other regions(like the USA) as well.

Recently, Samsung upped the ante yesterday by extending security update support for 4 years in total. The eligible devices including the Galaxy Z, S, Note, A, M, XCover, and Tab series will receive monthly/quarterly updates accordingly.

7 Comments
GOPINATH-R
Expert Level 2
Galaxy S
👍
Shlok2074
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Nice to see this... 🌹
Maddy210
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
very well explained, thanks.
nishantS21FE
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
so will it b available on India version for Galaxy S20 FE?
Abdul_Rahman
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
Yes
nishrags
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Hi:

I just got the galaxy S21+.  IT does not have dual sim with esim.  Can I  apply the above said patch of 3.1 UI and will esim be enabled? Please let me know and also where I can down load the patch and the procedure to apply.

Thanks

Rags

0 Likes
nishrags
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Hi:

Sorry to mention that I bought the S21+ in USA   fronm T-mobile carrier.

0 Likes