Original topic:

How to set up ADB

(Topic created on: 12-29-2021 05:53 AM)
sameera_s_w
Active Level 10
Options
Others

What is ADB? Have you ever heard of it?
ADB (Android Debug Bridge) is a programming tool used for debugging Android-based devices using a USB or TCP connection. It consists of a client and server on the host PC, where the server connects to the daemon on the Android device. This is not specific to Samsung devices but other OEMs might have some different methods.

Setting-up ADB

Turn on debugging

First of all go to about phone , software information and tap build number 7 times. Then you might prompt to authenticate. After that you have successfully enabled the Developer Options section.
Now go to Developer Options and scroll down to USB Debugging and turn it on.

1_C4e1u4V7YGvQDjU3NsiyUw.jpeg
1_JCEPoGAgM_9Eoe4CK3cqhvA.jpg

Get platform tools

Now switch to the PC (I will use a windows PC since it is common). Visit the below official website and download Platform tools for Windows.

SDK Platform Tools release notes , Android Developers
Screenshot (13).png

After downloading the archive, extract it to a easy to access location. I'll use C:\adb for my purpose.

Terminal

After that, plug your mobile with a USB data cable to the PC and follow these steps.
Go to the Platform tools location (in my case C:\adb ) and Right click in a empty space while holding the shift key. Then your context menu will include an extra option to open your terminal (CMD , PowerShell or Windows terminal depending on your OS)

Screenshot (14).png

Authentication

Now type in the below code and hit enter. 
adb devices
[ If you use PowerShell, you might have to use this code ./adb devices ]

Screenshot (16).png

Then check your phone and you will see a authentication dialog like below. Tick the always option and tap OK. Once you are done, ready to go!

1_JCEPoGAgMff_9Eoe4CK3qhvA.jpg

DONE! You have successfully set-up ADB for your mobile device with the PC.

Screenshot (15).png

This is not a typical procedure you have to follow unless you want to do something with ADB afterwards. Also keep in mind that the host PC will have control over your mobile so follow the steps as mentioned and turn off debugging afterwards if not needed.

I will post some Samsung specific tricks and codes related to ADB in future so I posted this as a getting started guide.

Troubleshooting

If the device does not show up in terminal, there could be many reasons.

1) USB debugging have not been turned on properly
2) Damaged or charging only cable
3) No drivers for the mobile device (in this case , you have to check for windows update for drivers or just manually install them if you have an older operating system)
4) PC USB hardware issue
5) Multiple Mobile devices connected with debugging (In this case you have to specify the device by Device ID)
etc...

Requested by : nipoo - Samsung Members
SourcesHow to Install ADB on Windows, macOS, and Linux (xda-developers.com)
Also you can follow this instruction video from XDA for more clarifications and also further set-ups like system environment if you are planning to use this for a long time.
The Best Way To Install ; Setup The Android Debug Bridge (ADB) On Your PC - YouTube

ADB does not void your warranty or do any affect but there might be some apps that detects and prevent running like banking apps. Do this at your own risk.

Put your problems, ideas, suggestions below in comments and always feel free to answer your problems.

See ya soon.

9 Comments
Pahan_Pansilu
Active Level 7
Others
👍👍
sameera_s_w
Active Level 10
Others
😇❤️
Others
Thanks bro😍