Original topic:

Galaxy M53 5G: Review after 10 days

(Topic created on: 05-19-2022 09:35 PM)
Anikroyale
Expert Level 5
Options
Galaxy M
Hey guys, Anik this side.

It is time for me to review the all new Galaxy M53 5G. Purchased the phone for my father, and used it initially to give you guys some insights on what the phone feels like, let's start with some of the main points (spoiler, its going to be a long post):

1.Display: Probably one of the best in this segment. The 6.7 inch Super Amoled+ display is just GORGEOUS, and when combined with 120 Hz refresh rate, gives you an entirely different experience. The only downside is that it is not an HDR supported panel (YouTube says that it has HDR, but in reality it does not, makes no difference in quality).

2.Cameras

A.Photos: I am being very honest with you, cameras on this phone are not really good. Although the issues I faced can be resolved via software updates, but I don't place my reviews based on something from the future. Camera output comes out blurry and grainy even when the viewfinder shows a good result. Night photography is borderline trash on this. Portrait and macro cameras are "good". Wide angle camera has good colours and good clarity.

B.Videos: Contary to the photography point, videos come out really good and it is always good to see Samsung providing 60 fps video recording (1080p) on their phones. You can switch between the front and back camera while recording. Hyperlapses come out REALLY AMAZING. Slow motion and super slow motion videos do not have any lags or stutters unlike previous Galaxy M series devices.

C.Front camera: Needs a lot of improvements. Pictures come out grainy and noisy, oversharpened and contrasty.

Overall verdict: I prefer the cameras of my Galaxy M31s over the M53 5G. But I believe the cameras can be improved, so I am looking forward to that.

3.User Interface: This phone comes with One UI 4.1 out of the box (thankfully, no Core). Upon setting up the device, you will find a lot, and I mean a LOT of bloatware (remember that bloat is subjective). But thankfully, 99% of those are uninstallable. Comes with several features like Link to Windows and Screen Recorder, and supports Good Lock (not officially but through APKs). We have Secure Folder, Samsung Pass, all secured by Samsung Knox 3.8. 120 Hz definitely makes the experience better, but I think Samsung can do better in terms of animations.

4.Battery and charging: The 5000 mAh battery can carry you all day without having to worry about draining off. In case of my father, he uses it for office stuff like emails, calls and text messages, and then some social media like Facebook and WhatsApp. He goes out with 100% and comes home with 65 to 70%, so the phone can easily last him 2 days on a single charge. Takes 1 hour and 10 minutes to charge from 0 to 100 using a 25 watt charger.

5.Overall design and in-hand feel: Design is subjective, but I personally like it. Its a tall phone, not really wide. The back is made out of plastic, but has a matte finish, so it does not attract fingerprints. I prefer the camera module of my M31s over the M53 5G, but that will differ. The phone feels light and premium in hand even with a 5000 mAh battery, coming at just 180 grams. Weight distribution is spot on.

6.Performance: Let's talk performance. Dimensity 900. A minor downgrade over M52 5G's SD 778G, but not one that you'll notice. Can easily run Call of Duty at high settings, so you can imagine the overall performance in other apps. 6 GB of RAM is good, can keep apps open in the background for easier multitasking. RAM Plus does not really help with performance, but does help with keeping more apps open in the background. Another thing is that the phone DOES NOT HEAT while using intensive apps. Only heats a bit while charging, so it is safe to say that the Vapour Chamber does its job as expected.

So finally, my recommendation? Don't buy the phone (just yet) if you plan on using it primarily for camera usage. Keep an eye out for software update reviews and if they improve the camera, then go for it. Other than that, the phone is really good, so get it if you want. 

So, that was it for the review, if I missed any points, tell me in the comments and I will answer accordingly. Also, if you want to know anything about this phone, ask in the comments and I will answer. 

Till then, this is Anik and I am signing off, and until next time, take care!
25 Comments
Sid_Karna
Expert Level 5
Galaxy M
That was a well-put-together and unbiased review. Nicely done.
Anikroyale
Expert Level 5
Galaxy M
Thanks!
0 Likes
Anikroyale
Expert Level 5
Galaxy M
Haven't had any issue with Spotify. Jiosaavn is I believe, bugged for almost eveyone. It struggles to run even on my M31s, Jiotunes don't work (I don't have the option at all), then it randomly crashes, continues playing a song even when I close the app from recents. Its a mess. But I have seen some M53 users reporting this restarting issue, but I highly doubt that it has more to do with the phone than with the app.
Sid_Karna
Expert Level 5
Galaxy M
Ok, since I don't use the app, I couldn't confirm the issue.
Galaxy M
Awesome dada 👏
Anikroyale
Expert Level 5
Galaxy M
Thanks!
0 Likes
hamidb007
Active Level 7
Galaxy M

M53 is a drawback when you compare with M52.

in 2022 most of galaxy phones are downgraded when you check against 2021 models.

samsung phones are not logic to buy anymore. especially M ones.

0 Likes
Anikroyale
Expert Level 5
Galaxy M
I wouldn't say that its a drawback. It certainly has a weaker CPU (but not too weak to notice), 900 is still pretty good and can go head to head with 778G. I feel like the one extra Android update is more important than a little more powerful CPU and NFC.
0 Likes