Original topic:

Downgrade to Android 11

(Topic created on: 05-21-2022 12:44 PM)
DheerajN
Active Level 4
Options
Galaxy M
I've finally reached to a point of frustration where I no longer can wait for Samsung to roll the April update with One U.I 4.1 (Core) over Android 12 for my Galaxy M21, my phone has become simply unusable due to the widest spectrum of bugs and issues I've seen on an OS and I can't afford a new phone right now

Last time I tried to install a Custom Rom ( Went back from One UI 2 on Pie to One UI on Oreo because I liked the Icons and appearance better and it had better battery life) many banking apps and mobile wallets simply wouldn't work due to some kind of security policy although the image was downloaded from SAMmobile and ideally should have been reliable.

Has anyone tried downgrading the phones after the recent update? Do payment apps and banking apps work fine after installing a custom ROM?

I can't stomach the idea of using my phone further in the condition it is right now and the only reason I haven't gone back is due to doubts about my HDFC app not working (It wouldn't work even now if the developer options are enabled)

Also any advice on backing up data on Samsung account to Google or Outlook account is much appreciated

6 Comments
Nikhil_S
Active Level 4
Galaxy M
Can U just share a list of major problems U r currently facing, coz it seems very severe in ur case.
0 Likes
DheerajN
Active Level 4
Galaxy M
Battery life became absolutely **bleep***tty to begin with, Just a week before I upgraded, if I began with a 100% at the start of the day, I usually had low battery warning in the evening on the following day, since the update i could hardly get past 6PM the same day, i know for a fact that batteries don't degrade that quick even if it's a case of coagulated chemicals, it would be gradual
The phone is getting ridiculously hot, I sometimes am removing the protective case that I usually use just to make sure that it doesn't die forever or explode
Almost all the apps that uses Google services are buffering forever to load content and one refresh later, it would load the same in an instant, even Instagram reels would sometimes pause too long and the worst part, Ads on YouTube are taking time to load. Last time a YouTube ad was buffering, i was using 2G on BSNL network
And even strange, I could download at my usual speeds over torrent clients while i could even complete a Google search at the time. So yeah, i don't think that it's a problem with my connectivity
The network would automatically disconnect with no reason, I place my phone on a table or in my pocket with full bars on network, and sometime later a series of notifications start flooding accross apps, and a few missed call notification messages show up. I made sure that nothing is wrong with my network reception in the place and WiFi on multiple devices
Sometimes the screen would get irresponsive while the phone is hot and I have to stop the screen and give it a minute to rest, following which i patiently wait for the display to be turned on after I click the power button or unlock with fingerprint
I couldn't record a video once while outdoors, a message popped up with an overheating warning and phone was restarted before I could completely grasp the content of the message
I'm really used to the adaptive optimisation on the previous version, and they removed an option called 'Battery and Device Care' from settings, I could live without it if the phone isn't as problematic as it is now
Updates and app installations from playstore take a really long time, even download of a pdf takes a couple of minutes, the same would download in under 10 seconds on a different phone, so no problem with the servers i guess, and slow downloads are consistent across all websites
Sometimes audio wouldn't play while viewing a video over third party app like VLC and I have to close and reopen the app to get it back, and yes, I've tried an older version of it which i saved an apk of it worked perfectly fine back then but struggled now.
Since we have covered problems with all the advantages of a smartphone, let me know if I missed anything, and I'm pretty sure it may pop up a few days later. Because ever since the upgrade I'm starting to discover new problems with every passing day
Do those reasons recurring everyday suffice as being 'severe' for the 'list' that you were expecting!
0 Likes
Nikhil_S
Active Level 4
Galaxy M
I hope U've found some ways to get rid of such issues.
0 Likes
Nikhil_S
Active Level 4
Galaxy M

I've got the gist of ur long description, it's as following,

1. Lesser battery back-up, faster drain out.

2. Phone's getting warmer abnormally.

3. Network issues (both cellular n Wi-Fi).

4. It hangs n freezes quit often during apps opening n normal activity.

I think I've listed out all the major issues U r facing currently. Let me ask U some of the basic questions related to these issues.

Firstly, did U perform a "wipe cache clean partition" from recovery mode after that update ? How much SOT (Screen On Time) U r getting at present? SOT isn't the correct parameter to measure but it gives a general idea. Did U check if any app or setting, taking too much battery juice ? coz battery back up mostly depends on User's usage pattern. Plz share a screenshot of SOT.

Did U try "Reset network settings" from General management to sort out network issues?

Did U try  "clear cache cache", "clear data" , uninstalling n re-installing of those problematic Apps ? Did U try to use ur device in Recovery mode to check the behavior of those problematic Apps ( in case of system Apps only)?

Did u try a "factory reset" from General management in settings? I don't recommend it coz it's a very time consuming process, U need to back up all the important data, settings n restore these all over again. It should always be the last resort. 

Now if these are not done yet, I'll request U to do it but if U've done all these n still getting the issues then U can try "emergency software recovery and initialization" using Smart Switch. Install it in a computer, connect ur device n perform this. Let see if it can solve the whole software issue. 

Otherwise U can also try "Repair Apps" from Recovery mode. It'll optimize all the Apps installed in ur device. Plz give it a try. 

My only concern is the motherboard as certain Exynos chipsets (9611 in this case) are more prone to get damaged quickly due to software update n Samsung has admitted it officially. So U can also drop an email to CEO, Samsung through the official site to inform them about this  n unfortunately if U encounter this U may  get a free service (possibly but not sure).

So try all these n let me know if U see any progress. Stay safe n stay optimistic.

cs_member8
Options
Galaxy M

Dear Samsung member,

Greetings from Samsung customer support.

Thank you for sharing your concern. We acknowledge your query and apologize for the same. We'd like to inform you that we never recommend installing Custom ROM on your device. Due to this, these multiple issues come to the device. You have already faced them as the payment apps are not working. kindly visit the service center to install the proper os download. You can locate your nearest service center with this given link: https://www.samsung.com/in/support/service-center/

Thank you for writing to Samsung.

Warm Regards,
Samsung Customer Support

0 Likes
muuzz
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy M
J
0 Likes