Original topic:

SOT - A few thoughts

(Topic created on: 05-07-2020 04:54 PM)
Vishanavi
Active Level 9
Options
Tech Talk

I always had few gripes with the screen on time of my M30s with whooping 6000 mAh battery. I was always expecting 10 plus houres of SOT and if not I will suspect the One UI optimization or lack of efficiency of Exynos 9611.

SOT is seen as a benchmark for measuring the battery life and 5 to 6 plus hours of SOT always consider as good. With around 6 months with this device, I would like to ask my self or to you, How reliable is this SOT?

So what is the screen on time or aka SOT. It is the amount of time from when the screen is on from full charge to zero percentage. If you try to top up your phone in-between for seconds it will change SOT. If your phone were at 30% and you charge it to 35 % then you can't calculate the SOT properly since you almost changed how long the battery going to last. There are a lot of other factors that affect the SOT the hardware efficacy, software optimization, and the most importantly screen brightness. One person is using the phone with 30 % brightness and another person with 90% brightness with the same device going to have a different SOT. It also depends on how you push your phone. some may play high intensive 3D games and others may just scroll through social media or just reading online. The lighter you accelerate your CPU the less it consumes the battery like a car's engine and fuel.

So if you take two M30s and one is running Call of duty mobile on a 4G connection or wifi is highly different than a person just reading articles on Medium app. One thing I recently noticed is that the connected devices have a significant impact on the battery life of your device. If your phone is connected to a smartwatch or band, earbuds, etc will lower your battery life, and most of the time while using your device the screen might be off. Similarly while listing to your favorite podcast or streaming music while your screen is off on 4G or wifi is milking your battery without the screen is on. I would like to also mention the wifi hotspot we all use a lot. Not all, especially me. my phone is connected to 4G and provides a wifi signal to my laptop and tablet.

Does it count SOT? NO; But it still pushes the phone. right?

So each person's SOT will differ according to the usage pattern.

It is a bogus and loose matrix to calculate your battery life until and unless you did it in a lab kind of restricted environment with fixed brightness and what not!

I would love to hear your thoughts on it?

Screenshot_20200503-193306_Settings.jpg

TODAYS SOT TILL NOW 

20 Comments
immi007
Expert Level 5
Tech Talk
Sciphile
Active Level 10
Tech Talk
SOT holds good only for your own device, I mean you can use it as a benchmark just to asses how "your" smartphone battery performed.

It loses value when you try to compare it with other people's usage,

I completely agree with your point, different users have different SOT, one of them could be a heavy user and the other one could be using just for casual browsing and calls.

To make a comparison between their battery performance even though they have the same smartphone seems like a bad idea.

immi007
Expert Level 5
Tech Talk
i feel only thing that matters most is does your phone lasts the day between charges or not..
immi007
Expert Level 5
Tech Talk
Also wanted to ask how is your phone doing...
can i buy a M series phone

i just saw M series community.

and observed

M series is being treated poorly by Samsung...

Vishanavi
Active Level 9
Tech Talk
it's quite an interesting question to answer. People have different feelings about M series for example members like Ankiroyale and Sciphile don't face any headaches with their devices. I get off on the wrong foot with Sammy at the beginning. we lot of members faced severe network reception issues at first, due to the frailty of Exynos 9611 after that we were assaulted with buggy updates by Samsung. I was frustrated at that time and reached out to Samsung. since its inherent all the SOCs they don't even bat an eye. Then I realized that not only samsung my network provider idea also having isuue due to their merging with Vodafone. The next first thing I had done that find the best network in my area using open signal app and moved to Airtel. Mission successfull. Next pesky OTAs that I ducked by purchasing PDP.For custmization I opeted for HEX +nova+seasame.

Now my phone work like a boss. No Glicth, no lag, Excellent battery life and standby

Now I tamed the feral m30s.

M30s=A50s.

If you are not into external beauty and it's an excellet choice. it can definitly please your inner scrooge.

𝙽𝚘𝚠 𝙸 𝚘𝚠𝚗 𝚖𝚢 𝚙𝚑𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚒𝚗 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚊𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚌𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚝'𝚜 𝚛𝚎𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚖𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚘𝚏𝚏 𝚖𝚢 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚏𝚊𝚟𝚘𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚎 𝚃𝚅 𝚜𝚑𝚘𝚠 𝚖𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚊𝚐𝚎 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝙳𝚎𝚡𝚝𝚎𝚛.𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚒𝚊𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚞𝚎 𝚐𝚘𝚎𝚜 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜.

Sciphile
Active Level 10
Tech Talk
@immi007, The camera is garbage, it used to be okay before when the phone was launched... but after the updates the camera quality keeps on degrading. It's even worse than my two year old MiA1.

My advice is if you want a mid tier device, look for some brands that are actually doing well in that segment.
Vishanavi
Active Level 9
Tech Talk
@sciphile

But in Android 9 the camera isn't that bad. Seems like you take a lot of photos. why don't you make post compare the quality difference after and before the update about camera quality in a rancorous manner?

Let Samsung know what the users think about their perfunctory update 😤 and this the right platform for it. Usually, the camera performance gets better after the update. Are you waiting for OTA fix?

By the way, Does your user name has any meaning? . just curious 🙂
Sciphile
Active Level 10
Tech Talk
@Vishanavi😅, no I'm more of an amateur when it comes to photography, I do take a lot of pictures but most of them are of extraterrestrial objects.

Yes, Sciphile stands for in love with science. I mean it's been a passion of mine since I was a kid😁
Sciphile
Active Level 10
Tech Talk
Here's some of the best clicks of mine

1. The first one is the arm of our milky way
2. The second one is of Hubble Telescope you can see it zooming past in the picture.
3. This moon shot was taken a few months back
4. This is the orion nebula (taken using a telescope)