Highlighted
Active Level 6
Everyone must have given it a thought, that how much our lives have been changed in these few years when automation, robotic, telecommunications etc are touching to the next level. The times have changed, It is not a big deal that phones/tablets are so advanced that it is openly giving a competition to PCs that was conventionally thought to be irreplaceable. On the other hand, engineers all over the world are giving a new approach to built old single objective appliances into all new machine which can work things entirely different with what it was meant to be. The watches, television, speakers and many more other gears have been made smart. I was thrilled when I saw Samsung's smart refrigerator at my friend's house which had a screen and can connect with the Samsung ecosystem. But have you ever given it a thought how do these gadgets perform such complex calculations, estimations and coordination . Well, simple answer of this curiosity is nothing but Random access memory also known as RAM

Source: Internet

Hello, I'm Ritvik Sharma; A tech curious  and an undergraduate student of medicine in Udaipur. Before I continue my blog further, I hope you all are doing good. Don't leave house until lockdown is called off. Wear mask, maintain hygiene and wash formites regularly. #Stayhomestaysafe

Everyone must have heard about RAM, but probably don't know what it is and how it works . Well, don't shrivel up your inner spark of curiosity as we will focusing all about RAM in this blog.

WHAT IS MEMORY?

Memory simply can be explained as a physical device containing integrated circuits capable of storing information. But here is a little twist, different types of memory differs in their storing time and abilities to carry out various functions.

WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF MEMORIES?

There are two broad categories of memories
  1. Primary memory - also known as Main memory because it stores the operating system and data that is necessarily required to run a system. But Primary memory can hold only those information on which system is currently working on and this information is further lost when power is switched off. Thus it is also called as a Volatile memory. Most common example of Volatile memory is RAM. 
  2. Secondary memory- also known as External memory. It is much slower than Main memory but can store data permanently irrespective to power availability i.e. data remains stored even if power is turned off. And that's why it is called non-Volatile memory.

Non volatile memory(Source: Internet)

WHAT IS RAM?

Random Access Memory (RAM) is that memory which receives, processes, calculates, give instructions, writes and rewrite the command. In short words, it works as a brain of system. It works at a very high, I mean like "very high" speed. But the restrictions of the RAM is not only limited to its volatile nature (as we discussed above) but to its production cost also. The production cost of RAM is highly expensive and that gives us the reason why most of our homely devices doesn't have RAM more than 8 GB. Even to construct a system to perform extraordinary complex data with immense multiple tasking, then too it barely be having 32 GB RAM.

HOW RAM WORKS?

This is actually a little complicated procedure but I'm gonna explain you this in a simplified manner. When a user opens a program, RAM copies the data from ROM or hard drive (a type of non-Volatile memory) that is essential for program to run. Then the program reads the RAM quickly to operate and run the instructions. Finally when user closes the program, the data copied in RAM is removed. 

WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF RAM?

RAM are broadly of 2 types
  1. Static RAM (SRAM) - This type of RAM consist of transistors, most commonly 6 transistors in a memory cell. And because of this it requires continuous power flow due to which it doesn't need to be refreshed again and again in order to remember the stored data. SRAM have very high access speed but low power consumptions, very low memory capacity and even more lower manufacturing costs making it ideal for it's use in Cache memory.
  2. Dynamic RAM (DRAM)- DRAM consist of a system of capacitors and each capacitors contain it's own bit memory. Since DRAM contains capacitors, these capacitors eventually discharge energy and no energy means no memory (as RAM is a volatile memory). Thus DRAM needs refresh of power in order to function. DRAM is further classified into 3 types
  • Synchronous Dynamic RAM (SDRAM)- This RAM's access speed is directly synchronized with CPU clock speed (clock speed a.k.a  clock rate is the speed at which a microprocessor executes instructions). This synchronization allows more instruction to be completed simultaneously, as a result overall CPU transfer and performance rates is improved.
  • Double Data Rate SDRAM (DDR SDRAM)- It works same as SDRAM, only twice as fast. This fast speed of DDR SDRAM is accomplished by simply executing instructions on both rising and falling edges of a clock cycle. This type have been further innovated into few modified DDR SDRAM explained below.
          A. DDR2 SDRAM- Transfer rates is increased and bus                       signals (bus signal is communication signals                                between different components of a system) are also                    improved.
          B. DDR3 SDRAM- It have advanced signal processing,                      greater memory capacity, lower power consumption                    and higher standard clock speeds 
          C. DDR4 SDRAM- It have even more advanced signal                        processing, even greater memory capacity, even lower                power consumption and even higher standard clock                    speed.
  • Graphics Double Data Rate SDRAM (GDDR SDRAM)- This RAM is typically designed for graphics like video and gaming, making more compatible to GPU  It not made to process fast but to handle massive amount of data. It's the same difference as in the locomotives of passenger and freight trains.

Currently DDR4 or DDR3, are most commonly used in PCs, phones etc. Whereas DDR1 or DDR2 are almost extinct in the world of technology.

Every new advancements  or modification in RAM not only brings better functioning and good efficiency but also helps us to achieve better compatibility, develop new programs or softwares, add creativity in machineries and to bring a modernistic approach to existing devices (for example, traditional watches are modified into smart watches). And yeah, every upgrade in RAM also reduces it's size, a very important aspect to raise the standards of technology.

WHY LOW MEMORY RAMs RELATED TO FREEZING OF PHONES?

In real life, all this theoretical knowledge is of no use, what matters is how low RAM related to computer performance. I'll explain it with a small example. Imagine a rack in a room which is your non volatile memory and files on the rack as a program, now imagine there is empty carton in the same room which is your RAM. Now, in order to run a program we have to shift files from the rack into the carton. Bravo!! the program is now running. But now I want to open more than one program, that means we have to shift more files from the rack into the carton, but carton have a limitation which is it's capacity. So, as I shift more and more number of files, the space in the carton will reduce and eventually a moment will come, when carton is completely filled and there won't be any space left. That means in order to run a new program we have to replace some files from the carton. Thats what happens when a computer or a smart phone or any other device hangs. So, in order to perform multi tasking, the system will require larger RAM (larger carton -> more space -> more files can be shifted -> more number programs can be processed at a time ) otherwise the system will hang.

Small RAM creates mess if you're multi tasking Source:Internet

SO HOW MUCH RAM IS NECESSARY?

Now I'm gonna answer this question in respect to smart phones only, as there are variety of devices which is requires different amount of RAM and their description will literally make a big list which cannot be covered in this blog. There is very generalized rule, "Larger RAM, Better the phone is", so first let me bust this myth, larger RAM of course improves CPU function but do not makes the smart phone good. Larger RAM uses more battery, generates more heat and of course costs more. So to get a phone with massive RAM memory you'll have use to those savings which you saved it since your childhood and even after you get the phone you'll end up into a constant engagement with your charger and also don't forget risks of getting burns.
It also doesn't mean a phone with a very small RAM is best. With small RAM possibly you can't run even a single application.
My recommendation is you should get 8 GB RAM smart phone with a good processor and other features, if you're a multi tasking person and only 4 GB or max to max 6 GB if you're a "Just focus on single target" person. But this is again a very generalized rule. The requirement changes with different aspects, the CPU configuration, clock speeds, gaming time etc.
Recently Samsung launched a wonderful smart phone S20 Ultra with extraordinary 12 GB RAM. One should really give it a look.

HOW CAN I GET MAXIMUM WORK OUT MY RAM?

This is very commonly asked by people after spending thousands of rupees on getting  smart phone with large RAM and still end up into getting phone hung. Generally there is a long list of instructions, but I have made it very concise into some points, just follow those instructions and most probably you're issues will get solved automatically. These instructions not only improves phone's performance but also increases battery life and might also improve phone's life.
  • Restart your phone once in a while, atleast once in a week - this will clear unnecessary files and data from the RAM, which as a result will provide more space to other critical files.
  • Put regularly used applications on lock- This enables RAM not to waste energy and time on reopening same files 10 times a day.
  • Clear RAM once a day- This releases files from RAM that has not being used in while, which again provide space to other critical files.
  • Clear Cache files atleast once a month- Old cache files may become corrupt and can even mess with the RAM. So, clearing cache not only improves RAM but also allows it to quickly recall application associated information as cache memory is released and refreshed with new data.
RAM is one of the most complicated and critical inventions ever. There always have been big investments to bring new advancements in it. Companies, researchers, engineers and scientist keep on looking to make even more faster RAM and this brought the competitions in the companies. Many companies in the world are fighting for fasted and biggest RAM. RAM has changed the path of technology. It gave machines to think and carry out such complicated procedures which human could not also do. It remodeled the life of man. With this I would like to end my blog. If you have any query, please inform me in the comment section. And please like, share and comment. If you have suggestions for my blog please contact me, you're always invited.
Have a great successful life ahead.
Thank you

#Stayhomestaysafe
#GalaxyTechfluencer

https://www.transcend-info.com/Support/FAQ-296
                              https://computer.howstuffworks.com/ram3.htm

19 Comments
Highlighted
Active Level 3
Ha ha ha... I know that types of RAMs it's all teach in Hardware and networking 😆
Highlighted
Expert Level 1
Very Informative and Nice presentation..
Highlighted
Active Level 6
thank you very much for you're appreciation
Highlighted
Active Level 1
Nice Informarion👌 Keep it up👍
Highlighted
Active Level 6
thank you...I'll try to make my blogs even more better
Highlighted
Expert Level 3
Good but I don't think people gonna read this much.
Highlighted
Active Level 6
thank you for the compliment...and about the people reading my blog.....I don't know whether people would like to read it or not...I like to share my knowledge openly to people....it's upto oneself that whether he or she wanna know about it or not....really...thank you for your concern...I'm obliged
Highlighted
Beginner Level 3
very good
Highlighted
Active Level 6
wow an excellent article totally loved it. thanks