Original topic:

Partition system in Samsung

(Topic created on: 07-25-2020 01:13 PM)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Tech Talk
To understand this first read my previous post

So, by now you have some knowledge on android partitions, types and so. 

Sadly Samsung uses A only or non-A/B partition.

If you talk with a devoloper or techy geek they mention these terms like meta data, file contexts, mapping files etc. 

If you look into them they look like simple text file or a file with many fetching lines etc. But they are not. Infact these are the files which tells your recovery partition how to perform update, where to place new files etc.

Size of a firmware 

Size of a update

So, what's inside this? 

The update file consists of some folders right?. 
If you can see map folder thats the thing I mentioned before it consists of several mapping files which tells recovery where to extract from and to. 

Yes, in A only devices recovery partition is the main thing. You can replace, change it with custom like twrp etc but you can't make its size 0. Although you can make remaining to 0.
( EFS partition too in older devices and vendor partition in newer devices as it contains device information) 

Oh well so ota downloads fota.zip which is update file and zip files generally don't corrupt right? 

Well NO.  According to developers in Xda in A only partition devices ota package was not downloaded as zip. It is downloaded as individual files and cached to cache partition which then recovery partition uses to update system partition. 

So, if a pause resume of download takes place then some files 'may' gets misplaced or not even gets downloaded. 

That's the reason you get errors which differs with others. You get restart issues if boot partition is corrupted or missed some files. Accordingly some software issue when system partition gets corrupted or missed files. 

Then how can you rectify this? 

By visiting service center. what they do is reflashing firmware using odin. Which replaces corrupted files and adds missing files in respective partitions. 

What you can do to avoid this issues?

1. If possible use smartswitch to update. Expecially major updates like android 9 to 10. Or in Samsung terms updating to oneui 2.0 then 2.1 etc. 
(laptop or pc must). 

2.  If you have knowledge on odin you can do yourself without visiting service centre. 

Avoid

1. Blaming, hating Samsung for every small issue. First check with other users in community if they have this issue. 

2. Arguing with experts or users on ota vs smartswitch vs odin. 

When to blame Samsung? 

1. If you and all others users facing same issue then you can blame Samsung on this. 
Generally 99% of updates we received are being tested, verified then issued to users via ota. 1% of updates have bugs even some major issues like display or even damage hardware. 

2. Send error logs so that they will get to know what issue is in this update and they can try to fix it. 

Comment worth mentioning 👌👌

Which not in the case of Samsung. 

5 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
aisa maximum people hain ...jo tera post me like to karega lekin uohi mobile data se software install karke issue face karega 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍

View solution in context

0 Likes
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
ha accha post dia tune 👍👍👍💘

View solution in context

Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
yes it can ..but don't use smart switch at present bro ..because pc smart switch version having bug at present... better flash it from service center if bug present

View solution in context

0 Likes
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
ok if you didn't faced any issue then that is great only ... bro smart switch is recommended process not mobile data or wifi..... .. i use smart switch only or odin ... this August I faced issue thatswhy i flashed software this time..otherwise i use smart switch

View solution in context

0 Likes
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
bro ... first of all samsung provides non A/B partition type Ota software, not like other companies ..hence there will be chances to welcome software loop hole if you simply update software via mobile data or wifi and it can create various types of issues in device if by chance that software not installed fully or correctly by damaging software side ..by which this forum is full with.....as a software update allaways needs a stable carriers to upload hence in that sense mobile data or wifi can't be stable and can fluctuate any of the times... it's allaways better to flash firmware from Samsung service center or by Odin tools as samsung officially use odin software..or install software via smart switch....

View solution in context

14 Comments
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
aisa maximum people hain ...jo tera post me like to karega lekin uohi mobile data se software install karke issue face karega 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
Jo log kuch bi kare.. We just have to tell what causes issues. Bas abse kise se argue nayi karna. 🤣🤣
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
ha accha post dia tune 👍👍👍💘
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
Atleast hope some users with pc/laptop may change their perspective and start using smartswitch / odin without arguing.
0 Likes
Tech Talk

I have a question,if you update using system update and face bugs, would updating via smart switch next time do a clean flash or is odin the only way for a clean flash

0 Likes
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
yes it can ..but don't use smart switch at present bro ..because pc smart switch version having bug at present... better flash it from service center if bug present
0 Likes
Tech Talk

I used smart switch the update in August last time, didn't face any problems and aslo the service centre guys takes too long to update

Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
ok if you didn't faced any issue then that is great only ... bro smart switch is recommended process not mobile data or wifi..... .. i use smart switch only or odin ... this August I faced issue thatswhy i flashed software this time..otherwise i use smart switch
0 Likes