Original topic:

How to take a backup and install software updates using Smart Switch.

(Topic created on: 02-02-2021 03:57 PM)
Anikroyale
Expert Level 5
Options
Tech Talk
[POST LAST UPDATED ON (06/10/2021)]

Hi guys, 

Anik this side and today, I decided to make a post on Smart Switch and share a way to back up your device data and install software updates in such a way which is better when compared to OTA (Over The Air) updates. Now, this does not guarantee that the update will be flawless, but it will reduce the risk of having bugs. 

Smart Switch is a first party application developed by Samsung for easy data transfers and software updates for your Galaxy device.

So, let's start. 

A quick word here, the update size will be fairly large, like 5 to 6 GB because it downloads the whole firmware. Rest assured, no data loss will occur.

First, visit this website, scroll down a bit and download Smart Switch PC for Windows or macOS, depending on what you use. 

Click on Windows or macOS, depending on your PC

After downloading, install Smart Switch PCWITHOUT connecting your phone. Images for installation help is provided below. 

Agree to both terms and click Next

Setup is now installing Smart Switch on your PC

Click Finish after installation is complete

Then, go visit this Galaxy Store link and install Smart Switch Mobile on your phone:

Now, open Smart Switch mobile and set things up as shown on screen.

Click allow here

Don't touch anything here, just close the app

Now back to your PC:

After installation is complete, go ahead and open Smart Switch PC and connect your phone. Allow access on your phone if a prompt appears. Else your phone will pop up in front of your screen.

Connect your phone and PC via USB cable after this screen appears

Smart Switch will connect to your device after you have allowed access

Take a backup using Smart Switch. (Its not compulsary to do this step, but it's always a good idea to take a backup just in case).

Click on Backup

Select items you want to back up and click OK

After the backup is complete, come back to the home screen of Smart Switch and click on the down arrow beside the name of your phone and at the bottom, it will show whether an update is available or not. If not, then it will show "Your device software is upto date". And if an update is available, then click on Update and wait. 

Click on arrow beside the name of your device for details.Update will be shown below the storage consumption lines

DO NOT DISCONNECT THE CABLE WHILE THE UPDATE IS DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING.

That's it! Enjoy! If you face any issues, just write below and I will try my best to help you!

That's it for now, I will catch you guys next time!

17 Comments
Nil555
Active Level 8
Tech Talk
good info.👌
Anikroyale
Expert Level 5
Tech Talk
Thanks!
0 Likes
Admín
Active Level 6
Tech Talk
good question
Techilicious
Active Level 9
Tech Talk
am using it for a year but still you teached in a great way
Anikroyale
Expert Level 5
Tech Talk
Thanks! I broke it down for users who are new to Smart Switch!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tech Talk
nice i had also posted this 5 months back....refreshing memories..😊😁
Tech Talk
This is good, keep the link copied somewhere for answering
Tech Talk
the phone gets switch off right while its getting updated or its like the same in ota where we can 1st download and then later on update it ????
i want to know this coz currently i am connected to my phone's hotspot in my laptop so should i use another device as hotspot ?
Anikroyale
Expert Level 5
Tech Talk
Your phone will restart only after the download is complete, so you can use your device, no issues with that. But don't disconnect the cable even after the download is complete.