Original topic:

How to Save Bat­tery on the Sam­sung Galaxy Watch 3

(Topic created on: 10-07-2021 01:06 AM)
Tech Talk

With features like ECG, Trip detection, and Oxygen monitoring, the Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 is a compelling smartwatch. The best part about it is that it beautifully balances the fitness-oriented features with smart features. However, things do not look good when it comes to battery life.

When I got my hands on the Galaxy Watch 3, it could barely last a day. One night, I went to sleep with the watch showing 42%, and the next morning, the battery was dead. No kidding.

Compared to the previous smartwatches, the Galaxy Watch 3 has shorter battery life. For instance, the 46mm Galaxy Watch lasts up to 4 days on a single charge.

Nevertheless, I tinkered around the watch and made a few changes, and thankfully, I made the battery last a little bit longer. If you see terrible battery life on your Galaxy Watch 3, here are some changes you can make.

1. DISABLE ALWAYS-ON DISPLAY

Agreed that the Always On Display(AOD) is one of the juicy features of the watch. However, it's also one of the primary reasons for battery drain, especially with fancy watch faces. It goes without a doubt that AOD helps you to see information on your watch without waking it or lifting your wrist. However, if your watch is suffering from a terrible battery drain, it's time to let it go.

To disable, pull down the Quick Settings menu and tap on the Watch Always On option.

Save battery samsung galaxy watch3 14

Save battery samsung galaxy watch3 16

If you are not in the habit to click on the Home button or the Back button to wake your watch, enable the Wake-up gestures. You can find this under Settings > Advanced in the Galaxy Wearable app.

2. DEACTIVATE WI-FI

From what I have seen, enabling the watch Wi-Fi has a serious impact on the battery. This was an issue with my Watch Active 2 smartwatch, and the Galaxy Watch 3 is no exception. For notifications and calls, the handy Bluetooth is more than enough if you have the connected phone within pairing distance.

Switching the Wi-Fi off is simple. Like the above method, you have to pull down the Quick Settings menu and toggle the switch.

Save battery samsung galaxy watch3 13

The same goes for other connections like NFC, provided you do not use it often. I have found that switching off the Wi-Fi connection helps the battery life significantly.

3. USE DARK WATCH FACES

Sure colored watch faces look fancy and all. But they are also big battery guzzlers. Solution? Use dark-colored watch faces.

The wearable app and the Samsung store have plenty of AMOLED-friendly watch faces that go well with your smartwatch and, in the process, will help save battery life. In AMOLED screens, the black area means that the pixels are turned off, which saves battery life. The mantra here is to opt for watch faces that have more black to conserve the battery juice.

While you can get several AMOLED-friendly watch-faces on the Galaxy Wearable app. Also, you can visit the Galaxy Store for more. To do so, open the Wearable app and tap on the Discover tab at the bottom.

Save battery samsung galaxy watch3 6
Save battery samsung galaxy watch3 97
Once done, tap on the Search button at the top, search for AMOLED and that's about it. Once you find the one which you like, apply it once it has finished installing.

4. OPTIMIZE BATTERY IF YOU USE TOO MANY APPS

The Galaxy Watch smartwatches may not have as many compatible apps as the Apple Watch, but it's safe to say the numbers are fairly decent. And if you already can't do without the limited options, the best solution would be to keep an eye on the app's state.

Like old smartphones, apps may continue to consume battery even when you are not actively using them.

The Optimize Battery mode on your watch takes care of issues like these. Hence, make sure to optimize the watch battery from time to time. To do so, head over to the Quick Settings menu and tap on the battery-shaped icon, which will take you to the Power Saving screen.

Save battery samsung galaxy watch3 1

Save battery samsung galaxy watch3 2

Rotate the bezel clockwise, and you will see the option for Optimize. The Battery Optimize mode also takes care of screen brightness and screen time if they are cranked too high.

Save battery samsung galaxy watch3 3

Besides that, you can also check your watch's battery stats to see which app chugs the maximum juice.

Save battery samsung galaxy watch3 8

Save battery samsung galaxy watch3 10

To do that, select the About Phone option on the app and tap on the Battery icon. Since I am using a non-Samsung watch, you can see that Samsung Health is chugging the maximum juice.

5. REDUCE BRIGHTNESS AND SCREEN TIMEOUT

This one is no rocket science. The screen tends to eat away most of the battery juice and if the screen's brightness and screen timeout are cranked up.

To reduce the screen timeout to about 30 seconds, head over to the Wearable app, and select the Display option.

As for the Brightness, pull down the Quick Settings menu and tap on the brightness icon, and you know the rest.

6. HEART RATE MONITORING

Can you afford for the heart rate monitoring to run every 10 minutes? As you may have already guessed, keeping it on continuously will cause the battery to deplete fast.

Save battery samsung galaxy watch3 4

Save battery samsung galaxy watch3 5

To change the heart rate monitoring frequency, head over to the Heart monitoring widget on your watch and scroll down until you see the option for Settings. Once in, tap on the Every 10 minutes option.

7. STAY UPDATED

Whether it's a smartphone or a smartwatch, it's always recommended to keep it updated, unless of course, the update is riddled with bugs. For instance, my watch's barely used to last just a little more than a day previously. Once I update to the latest version, I can now see the battery lasting around 2 days with Wi-Fi off.

Save battery samsung galaxy watch3 12

Save battery samsung galaxy watch3 11

Thank You

0 Comments