Original topic:

Increase Browsing Speed (Without Downloading any App)

(Topic created on: 04-02-2020 08:15 PM)
Aashish
Expert Level 4
Options
Others

Many of you might be familiar with what a DNS provider is and for those who don't, I am here to educate!

Working of a DNS Provider.

A DNS provider short for 'Domain Name System' provider is a service that translates a URL that we input into the address bar into the IP address of the site that you are trying to visit.

No matter how fast your connection is, a slow DNS provider will slow your browsing down to a crawl.

But wait, here I bring to you fast and secure DNS providers used all over the world-

GOOGLE PUBLIC DNS (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4)  FAST

Benefits of Google Public DNS as listed by Google.

CLOUDFLARE DNS (1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1)  FAST / SECURE WITH DDOS PROTECTION

Cloudflare official logo. Cloudflare servers are used for website hosting worldwide.

To get a fast DNS with with AD-Block abilities follow my previous post-https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Others/Block-Ads-on-Android-9-0-Without-downloading-any-app/td-p...

Steps to Change your DNS Provider-

Android 9 (Pie) or later

Android 9 supports "Private DNS" which uses DNS-over-TLS to provide security and privacy for your DNS queries. You can configure it with the following steps.

1. Go to "Settings" → "Network & Internet" → "Advanced" → "Private DNS".
  2. Select Private DNS provider hostname.
  3. Enter dns.google as the hostname of the DNS provider.
  4. Click Save.

Routers (If you want to extend the benefit to everyone on your network!)

Every router uses a different user interface for configuring DNS server settings, but here I will provide the general settings.

To change your settings on a router:

1. In your browser, enter the IP address to access the router's administration console.
  2. When prompted, enter the password to access network settings.
  3. Find the screen in which DNS server settings are specified.
  4. If there are IP addresses specified in the fields for the primary and seconday DNS servers, write them down for future reference.
  5. Replace those addresses with the Google IP addresses:
    • For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4 or Google alternatively 1.1.1.1 and/or 1.0.0.1 for Cloudflare 
    • For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844 for Google
  6. Save and exit.

My real life experience with Google Public DNS.
Previously I used BSNL local DNS on my network  (BSNL Broadband) but on a DNS benchmark I got advised that on changing my DNS to Google, I would get about 5× resolving speed and I did. Believe me, there is a tremendous change in network response and click to load latency.

This particular app is called Namebench, you can use it on your PC to find ouy the Fastest DNS for your specific Network and Location.

Then, Voila. Magic happened.

Try it for yourselves and let me know your experience/ about any help needed in the comments below!

19 Comments
Others
it will really work in my a50?
Aashish
Expert Level 4
Others
Yes, but you would benefit most if you're on Wi-fi.
0 Likes
Others
Nice detailed info...will definitely try
Ařpît
Expert Level 2
Others
Good Information...Must to try during quarantine...🙂
Others
is it dns.google.com ?
Aashish
Expert Level 4
Others
Both with or without .com will do.
Others
Great
Aashish
Expert Level 4
Others
Thanks.
0 Likes
immi007
Expert Level 5
Others
Automatic option uses Google dns ... 1.1.1.1 is fast in many region but not all...
0 Likes