Original topic:

Thinking of leaving Samsung after 10+ years!

(Topic created on: 04-29-2021 12:07 AM)
theLou
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
It isn't right that Samsung leaves loyal customers out to dry because their UNLOCKED purchased device is from another region!. I paid $1,400.00 for my S20 Ultra than moved to a different region to find out that I can't receive OTA security or software updates & Samsung is like tough luck buddy! You're shit out of luck!. 
18 Comments
shiv7688
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Go to the nearest Samsung center and ask them to change the firmware of your phone to the regions where your are residing. Mind it that this will format your phone and also do this only if your area going to stay long enough in the region. This is the major drawback with Android manufacturers. If your are a frequent traveler then better go for Apple.
theLou
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Apple it is!
Galaxy S
Hi dear, irrespective of the regions you travel to, you will receive OTA updates whenever it is released in the country of origin of your device. Please don't share wrong information to the users.
UserAdik12
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
Yes you are so right!
0 Likes
theLou
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Well I've been in this region for the past 8 months and haven't received not one OTA update, even though every update for my S20 shows as complete on Samsung Members. So relax with that "Please don't share wrong information to the users"

20210429_222233_5935.jpg

Galaxy S
What does it shows when you try to update the device from settings > Software Update?
Galaxy S
Please post a screenshot of settings > about phone > software information > service provider software info.
theLou
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
The latest software is already installed.
Galaxy S
Hi there,
You will receive OTA updates even if you move to another region. May be you have formatted the device while a SIM card from the new region is inserted. If you do do CSC of the device may sometimes change which will result in not receiving OTA. You can fix this issue by simply downloading the firmware and flashing it through Odin.

I am using a Note20 ultra which I purchased from UAE, a Note9 purchased from Bahrain and right now I am in India. Still I am receiving OTA updates.