Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Telephoto Lens

(Topic created on: 06-27-2019 03:52 PM)
Eiram
Active Level 5
Options
Galaxy S
There are times that the main camera is still being used wherein I already picked the Telephoto mode in the camera. The image is only digitally zoomed. Why is it like this? Try to cover the telephoto lens while taking shots in telephoto mode, you will still be able to view/see from the camera.
0 Likes

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Pawtatuh
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
in this case telephoto lens isnt used as a seperate lens like wide angle, the zoom is achieved with both primary and telephoto lenses, the telephoto lens allows zoom without any moving parts in the primary lens. with digital zoom you would see your primary lens extend. same goes with iphones, both telephoto and primary lenses are used to achieve the bokeh in portrait shots, meaning depending on you devices software, it can use both lenses at the same time to achieve potentially better results

View solution in context

Solution
Galaxy S
I dear, after I saw your post I have checked the camera features and I was continuously checking the the camera for the last 1 hour. I am using a note 9 with a dual camera setup. Here are my findings.

1. When I switched between the cameras in photo mode in a darker environment, Telephoto lens was not working. It was simply using the main camera to do a 2x digital zoom. May be this feature is to make the photos clearer as the primary camera is better in low Light conditions.

2. I checked the video camera in low light condition, at first I didn't cover any cameras and started video recording. After I started to recorded I switched to telephoto lens by zooming in and the camera simply switched to telephoto. I confirmed it by covering the camera lens. Then I switched back to the primary camera by simply zooming out.
Next I tried covering the primary lens with my finger and pressed video recording and then switched to telephoto lens, but it was not working. It simply used the primary camera to do 2x zoom. That means the phone senses the light condition with main camera, so never cover that camera before you start recording.

3. In perfectly lighted conditions, both cameras work perfectly when you switch between normal and telephoto provided that you should not cover the main camera when you point at the subject.
After the subject in is focus and camera dectects enough light, switch to 2x zoom and try covering the main camera. You can see the 2x telephoto is working perfectly fine.

View solution in context

4 Comments
Solution
Pawtatuh
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
in this case telephoto lens isnt used as a seperate lens like wide angle, the zoom is achieved with both primary and telephoto lenses, the telephoto lens allows zoom without any moving parts in the primary lens. with digital zoom you would see your primary lens extend. same goes with iphones, both telephoto and primary lenses are used to achieve the bokeh in portrait shots, meaning depending on you devices software, it can use both lenses at the same time to achieve potentially better results
Eiram
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
thank you for the information!!
Solution
Galaxy S
I dear, after I saw your post I have checked the camera features and I was continuously checking the the camera for the last 1 hour. I am using a note 9 with a dual camera setup. Here are my findings.

1. When I switched between the cameras in photo mode in a darker environment, Telephoto lens was not working. It was simply using the main camera to do a 2x digital zoom. May be this feature is to make the photos clearer as the primary camera is better in low Light conditions.

2. I checked the video camera in low light condition, at first I didn't cover any cameras and started video recording. After I started to recorded I switched to telephoto lens by zooming in and the camera simply switched to telephoto. I confirmed it by covering the camera lens. Then I switched back to the primary camera by simply zooming out.
Next I tried covering the primary lens with my finger and pressed video recording and then switched to telephoto lens, but it was not working. It simply used the primary camera to do 2x zoom. That means the phone senses the light condition with main camera, so never cover that camera before you start recording.

3. In perfectly lighted conditions, both cameras work perfectly when you switch between normal and telephoto provided that you should not cover the main camera when you point at the subject.
After the subject in is focus and camera dectects enough light, switch to 2x zoom and try covering the main camera. You can see the 2x telephoto is working perfectly fine.
Eiram
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
wow this is so detailed. Thanks man!
0 Likes