Original topic:

Severe Bug: Black Crush/Gradient Banding in Video Playback

(Topic created on: 12-15-2019 12:25 AM)
ur2kill
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
Test your device also(see below)
and please comment if your device(with model and android build) is also effected

Devices Tested(confirmed):
-Galaxy Note 10(latest android 9)
-Galaxy S10(latest android 10, and 9 also)

Bug
-The tested phones cannot display different shades of low brightness colours(dark gradients) properly.
This results in Banding/posterisation of colours.

-It cannot be seen in screenshots properly so I have attached photos of my phone when playing videos.

Test:
-Set your( very Important⚠️)
     •Auto brightness-off
     •Brightness-Maximum
     •Video Enhancer-On
     •view the video in a dark room
      (Apply these so as to best appreciate the dark colours effected, the bug is present even without these settings)

-Play the following videos in your phone
        (Look for banding best at 00:10s)

-Play these videos with full brightness in other phones also if you think this is normal, preferably a non-samsung device(like OnePlus or iPhone)

-Please comment if you also have the problem with your device details as we need to send our message to samsung executives.
18 Comments
sammy25
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
anyone tested Iphone 11 Pro for this?
0 Likes
ur2kill
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
i have tested iPhone 11 pro max ,iPhones display blacks perfectly.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy S
yes I tested this on my iphone 11 pro and s9 both are working fine without any color distortion and any black crush issue
0 Likes
shinu7
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
my S9 was showing perfect black until just now few minutes back i unlocked my device and i could notice some changes in display its showing grayish in settings and instagram and everywhere its showing grayish everywhere and its so annoying i dnt knw what to do😔
ur2kill
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Believe me and take my word for it, you can unsee it once you see it and I have owned my Note 10+ for 2 months but only came to notice this horrible banding only last week.

I am 100% sure it was present in your device since the 2019 match update (after my research)

I have confirmed that this use is present in all models after Note 8(S9, N9, S10, N10) and that the galaxy S8(I own one) was the last phone free of this issue.

Worse is that this issue is present only in some particular batches of samsung phones

Post a photo of your device which is taken by another phone in a dark room displaying this issue.
Wessi
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
My note 9 runs smoothly ....suddenly i dont know what happened .. My phones Black colur are not Pure black its become grey.....i thought its common issue so i just reset my phone ...
but nothing changed ..and this is a kind of issue that you cant ignore that.
i share some snaps i guess this will help ...please solve asap.
0 Likes
ur2kill
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
no solving, samsung don't listen, I have reported this multiple times with the same replay from them"we have forwarded your issue to the team"
0 Likes
Nejat11m
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

I have also the same issue on my note 8 (SM-N950F) on December security patch. 

Has someone any solutions???

Here some Pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/I9vznDz
https://imgur.com/a/iX1Doee

ur2kill
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
no solution its a firmware related bug so even a factory reset wont help
0 Likes