Original topic:

Severe Bug: Black Crush/Gradient Banding in Video Playback

(Topic created on: 01-15-2020 04:15 AM)
ur2kill
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
Test your device also(see below)
and please comment if your device(with model and android build) is also effected

Devices Tested(confirmed):
-Galaxy Note 10(latest android 9)
-Galaxy S10(latest android 10, and 9 also)

Bug
-The tested phones cannot display different shades of low brightness colours(dark gradients) properly.
This results in Banding/posterisation of colours.

-It cannot be seen in screenshots properly so I have attached photos of my phone when playing videos.

Test:
-Set your( very Important⚠️)
     •Auto brightness-off
     •Brightness-Maximum
     •Video Enhancer-On
     •view the video in a dark room
      (Apply these so as to best appreciate the dark colours effected, the bug is present even without these settings)

-Play the following videos in your phone
        (Look for banding best at 00:10s)

-Play these videos with full brightness in other phones also if you think this is normal, preferably a non-samsung device(like OnePlus or iPhone)

-Please comment if you also have the problem with your device details as we need to send our message to samsung executives.
18 Comments
Aleks14
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S

I also have it on my Note 8, noticed it a month ago. Pretty sure it wasn't there before, guessing it's firmware related then? Thing is, I don't know if Note 8 is going to be getting any updates any more. I was looking to upgrade to a Note 10 soon anyway, I'll make sure to keep a lookout for the same issue on the Note 10 when I get it, and I'll make sure to return it straight away if it shows up there too.

0 Likes
Wessi
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
Hey @ ur2kill .. did you show this issue to Samsung gallery.??
what does the say ..let me know.
I am waiting for January Android 10 update.hope this will fix thi issue and camera zooming issue..
ur2kill
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
no luck, always get an automated reply, no real progress.
I don't think display issue is gonna be fixed
0 Likes
ur2kill
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
yes I have reported this three times in last two months in the error feedback section of samsung members app, still no reply. I don't think they are going to fix the issue as it is present since the S9.

Btw you can play videos with proper colours by using VLC player (with Hardware acceleration turned off) which will drain significant battery, heat phone if used for long time and will also lag if used for high resolution (4k files) files for long.

This means this issue is only due to faulty hardware decoders which are pretty easy to by fixed by a simple software patch(that is if they bother to acknowledge that)😞
0 Likes
Nejat11m
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

I have noticed that the Dark service (see screenshot) at my phone which has this issue is not running. At the phone of my friend which has not the issue this service is running all the time. Is it possible to force this service to run ? 

Here the screenshot of the service: https://imgur.com/gallery/gfRN2zq

aditya27
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
same in my s8 its not running and i am having black crush issue
0 Likes
lizziep7
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I have the same issue to my Samsung A50s. It bothersme to this day and it started with an update. Please fix the bug or the firmware please. The color banding really **bleep**. 😢

0 Likes
Rocket81
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Colour banding is there in the latest S21 fe 5g also especially in netflix and youtube videos. I believe modern IPS displays (dci p3)are far better with accurate skin tone and overall pleasing color tone. I have compared amoled with IPS and I found no difference color saturation infact IPS display appears more pleasing to the eye. Samsung with too much useless experiment on their display technology, has led to **bleep** up display. Earlier displays in S 4 and samsung Note etc where much better. Color banding and black crush issue started with galaxy S5. I don't why this **bleep** up phone reviewer praising so much on samsung displays. Samsung displays are now mostly **bleep** up with too much unnecessary additions and experimentation
0 Likes
Juhaina
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

I have Samsung galaxy note 10+ , and I have same issue .. it is too annoying.. any updates regarding any solution please advise 

0 Likes