Original topic:

Sceen on

(Topic created on: 04-29-2020 04:06 PM)
User28
Active Level 9
Options
Galaxy S
Yesterday i had observed a weird thing. I was in a conference call and was using speaker phone. After a few seconds the screen completely turned off. It came back when i tapped on the screen. 

Shouldn't the screen stay dimmed for the entire duration of the call? I understan that when we are holding the phone at our ear and speaking, it completely turns off. But why the same behaviour when using speaker phone? 

I am thinking that this is a bug. 
6 Comments
hedgehog
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
the phone has a proximity sensor which constantly blinks if u look closely on top right side you'll see a dot blinking that sensor detects the person near by hence if u put phone on ear it detects ear contact or if u keep away proximity doesn't detect u then even if calling is on screen dims away

did the call also disconnect because it happens with my phone but calling goes on
even if u use Bixby routines while call app is on the timeout screen only increases to 10 min but still after that screen will go dim
just see if call was still connected or not🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
0 Likes
User28
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
no call never disconnected. its just the screen timeout. I feel the screen should stay dimmed in speaker phone.
0 Likes
hedgehog
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
that function won't last even if u increase screen timeout for long it's because of proximity sensor
0 Likes
Ar-Pharazon
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

What OP is talking about has nothing to do with the proximity sensor.  The phone can be on your desk with nothing anywhere near it.  It's not an immediate screen shutoff like when you hold it to your ear, it's a 10 second dim then a 20 second full timeout.  And it isn't connected to the screen timeout setting under Display.

0 Likes
User28
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
if the proximity sensor detects an obstacle, it turns off the screen which is correct. But while using speaker phone, we do not keep it near ear and hence no obstacle. Why turn off the screen then?

I had observed this only in Samsung. My family members phones like, LG, Vivo, Redmi doesnt have this behaviour. Screen just dims in speakerphone mode.

If the screen completely turns off, how will you know the call duration, if any other person is added to a conference call etc. ?

I feel it is a flaw in the UI.
0 Likes
hedgehog
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
for that just tap once a while to prevent dimming
or else use Bixby routines and keep brightness full till call doesn't end
0 Likes