Original topic:

Samsung is cheating its users

(Topic created on: 11-14-2020 05:17 PM)
rojon
Active Level 7
Options
Galaxy S
Bought a S10 lite three months ago. My phone was running on One UI 2.1. I was getting close to 8-10 hrs of SOT with normal settings. Then came the One UI 2.5 just before the release of S20 FE.  With One UI 2.5, Samsung seem to have purposefully increased the battery drain and with each software update the camera quality is decreasing.  Going through the experience of S10 users in the forums I see that they too have experienced reduction in battery life after updates.  I thought the S10 lite would be the gateway for me to buying the more premium phones such as the Fold and Note but I guess I will skip Samsung once and for all.  A frustrated customer !! 

NOTE : Please keep your default battery saving tips to yourself. With the same settings I easily got 8-10 hrs before One UI 2.5. And the nonsense about flashing only through ODIN and not through OTA updates (as some would like to comment). Do you expect all Samsung users to flood customer service centers to have their device updated ? I have already sent error reports to Samsung but nothing has been done about it. I have done a factory reset too. If this is the case with an snapdragon processor I can't imagine what exynos users will face in 6 months from buying their device. 

12 Comments
Raghavendra98
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
All the battery "saving" before was One UI's aggressive killing off of background (seldom used) apps.

One UI therefore had awful notification management as the app will be forced to sleep, hindering any notification from showing up (Gmail and Microsoft Teams notifications are the worst on One UI). This overrides Google's "Doze" feature that is significantly better at keeping apps awake for notifications and smartly sleeping them.

One UI 2.5 changed that but Samsung hasn't got it right yet. Nothing you can do except the good ol' battery saving "tips".

Visit: https://dontkillmyapp.com/
rojon
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Not sure about that. I get delayed notifications on One UI 2.5 but that didn't happen on One UI 2.1.
0 Likes
Raghavendra98
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
Well then, they have just completely failed in this regard.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Totally agree, S10 + user here. But the problem is not with samsung, it's with all android OEM and even iOS. Regular updates ruin user experience and battery performance. Go to the iOS forums and check, the grass is yellow on the other side as well. And Chinese OEMs like OnePlus also screw up with updates. I think it's intentional so users are forced to move to newer devices
rojon
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Totally agree. And the cunning part about these updates is that you can't roll back to the previous versions which was possible until 2019 I guess. But having this kind of an experience makes me want to completely jump brands than replacing it with a newer device from the same brand.
YesImAk
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Samsung is becoming Apple
kris88
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
Yes the battery performance has reduced but only marginally .. Hopefully Samsung fixes it on one ui 3.0..
We are getting timely updates with on time security patches.. You should use other Chinese OEMs which delay updates and mess up the device.. I am an ex poco F1 user.. I have seen much much worse experience with that device😊
rojon
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
No.of updates (we barely know what's fixed), features don't matter when the device has reduced battery life. Battery life is important and that's why smartphones today are advertised with 6000 and 7000mAh batteries.
0 Likes
rojon
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
If Samsung improves the battery life on One UI 3.0 I will surely update this thread. Hoping they will.
0 Likes