Original topic:

Samsung is artificially slowing down your Galaxy smartphone

(Topic created on: 03-03-2022 05:13 PM)
AYush2313
Active Level 10
Options
Galaxy S

Ever wondered why games don’t play quite well on your shiny new Galaxy S22 despite it packing the best hardware on the market? It turns out that there is more to it than just bad Exynos 2200/Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 performance. The real culprit is Samsung’s GOS (Games Optimization Service) which aggressively throttles CPU and GPU performance.

Multiple sources, including a South Korean YouTuber Square Dream, confirmed his findings with a little trickery. He renamed the popular benchmarking app “3D Mark” as “Genshin Impact” and found that merely changing the package name resulted in a significant dip in scores.

Similarly, users on the South Korean forum Clien renamed Geekbench and Genshin Impact and found a nearly 50% drop in single-threaded performance in some instances. The differences varied on a generation-by-generation basis, with older devices such as the Galaxy S10 exhibiting only a marginal dip in performance.

12 Comments
DhruvS20FE5G
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
100% true. GOS really throttle CPU & GPU. i have oneplus 7T and Samsung S20FE 5G. Both have same Qualcomm 865 processor with 8 GB RAM, but gaming is far better in oneplus. Oneplus indeed gets more warm during gameplay with high battery consumption but it will not of any concern when someone requires high performance . Atleast samsung should give options to disable GOS.
Galaxy S
High warm damages phone in the long run play in cool eniviorment and performance will not drop i keep my a50 below 40 by playing in front of ac in summers never reaches 40 degree matains peak performance
0 Likes
DhruvS20FE5G
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
buddy its not feasible for everyone to sit in front of an AC for playing a game. Samsung should also ship AC with its phone 🤣🤣
Galaxy S
Yeah bro my new window ac of dakin is 32k so samsung can very well as these phones cost a hell lot 1 lakh 10 k for 12gb 256gb man they need to give ac
My godrej ac was just 16500 lol and ran for 7 to 8 years
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Go to Settings > Apps > GOS > Uninstall updates

And you won't be seeing the GOS service anymore. You can check for the next few days if gaming is still an issue.
0 Likes
Nilesh_Shah
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
There is no way to disable or uninstall GOS. It comes back even if we use adb.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Well let's see I have disabled Game Launcher, Galaxy GameDriver and Uninstalled updates of Game Optimization services. Also turned off auto-update in Galaxy Store
0 Likes
Nilesh_Shah
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Good. Please feedback here after a restart cycle.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Post restart of the phone Game Optimization Service is not auto-updated from Galaxy Store and no longer visible in settings > apps