Original topic:

[SOLVED] Secure Folder + Work Profile

(Topic created on: 04-08-2022 10:19 PM)
TheMystic
Expert Level 1
Options
Galaxy S

In the absence of Multi-Users feature in OneUI 4.x for Samsung smartphones (the feature is likely available for Tablets), I wanted to find a way to replicate this (very useful) requirement on my S22 Ultra.

Secure Folder is a great feature that is unique to Samsung Phones. But it is not a replacement for AppLock or the Multi-User feature. Unfortunately, Samsung has removed/ hidden both of these very useful features from its phones with One UI 4.x.

But fortunately, Secure Folder is not using the built-in Work Profile feature of Android. Or to put it differently, Samsung hasn't removed the Work Profile feature. Hopefully, the same is true of Multi-Users feature too (although unlikely) and I wish some noble soul will make an app that will enable this on OneUI 4.x.

WORK PROFILE

iMarkup_20220408_213741.png

As you can see, I have enabled the Work Profile on my phone using a very beautiful app called Shelter. It is available on Google Play Store as well as f-droid. The one on f-droid is a newer version and has some extra features. The app is open source and doesn't connect to the internet, which is excellent from a privacy and security perspective.

With Secure Folder AND Work Profile, I have 3 workspaces, each isolated from the others. Each workspace has its own set of apps, complete with VPN support too.

While it is too early to comment on the impact of performance, battery life, stability, etc., things are looking quite good at the moment.

All that said, I wish Samsung doesn't remove/ hide useful features that come with Stock Android and with other OEM versions of Android. Users moving to Samsung should be welcome with unique, exclusive features like Secure Folder, but not be given a shock of not having equally (or more) useful features that they are used to with other brands.

17 Comments
TheMystic
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S

I'll post the screenshots of app installation screen here.

Screenshot_20220408-191009_Shelter.jpg

Screenshot_20220408-191014_Shelter.jpg

Screenshot_20220408-191104_Shelter.jpg

Screenshot_20220408-191115_Shelter.jpg

Screenshot_20220408-191127_Work Setup.jpg

Screenshot_20220408-191140_Work Setup.jpg

Screenshot_20220408-191153_Shelter.jpg

Screenshot_20220408-191211_Shelter.jpg

Settings Page:

Screenshot_20220408-191316_Shelter.jpg

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy S
Work profile ?
0 Likes
TheMystic
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
It is a separate work space where you can install apps and store files, separate from the main user. It is an isolated environment that can be used for a different type of activity/ purpose.
0 Likes
mHappiee
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
░█████╗░██╗░░██╗██╗
██╔══██╗██║░██╔╝██║
██║░░██║█████═╝░██║
██║░░██║██╔═██╗░╚═╝
╚█████╔╝██║░╚██╗██╗
░╚════╝░╚═╝░░╚═╝╚═╝
AdyKale
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
You can also use Device Policy app which is Google's official software to create work profile.

Only issue is we need to use it in Demo company mode which require internet to setup.

0 Likes
TheMystic
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
I don't need it for office use or to connect to a domain. Besides, it requires G-Suite membership.

Same is true of Knox Manage.
AdyKale
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
Samsung has its own app too known as Knox Manage but it is only limited to company and their employees.
It requires subscription of the same.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Current dual messenger app allowed only messenger app to clone, please provide dual app for all installed 3rd party app in Samsung mobiles.

0 Likes
TheMystic
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
With Secure Folder and Work Profile, you can clone an app in each of them separately, so you'll have 3 instances. Plua apps supported by dual messenger can have a 4th instance too.
0 Likes