Original topic:

S23 Ultra Will Not Keep Screen On When Viewing

(Topic created on: 02-28-2023 11:53 PM)
Jarold001
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S

I just picked up a new S23 Ultra last week and the screen goes dim and then blacks out, even while holding the phone in a 60 - 70 degree angle about 10 - 12 inches (25 - 30cm) away from my face. This happens in direct sunlight or in any well lit area. I have disabled and reenabled the "keep screen on when viewing" switch, wiped the cache partition, rebooted numerous times, and played with other features.

No one can provide answers. The salespeople were clueless. Samsung Tech Support ran remote diagnostics then provided a lengthy results sheet and ended the call. The only exception was heavier memory usage detected from a Microsoft App, but this problem existed from day one. Even the most recent system download has not changed anything.

It is very annoying to have the screen keep going black while reading articles or navigating my new phone. Is this a bug for the new S23 Ultra?

Anyone else have this issue or possible solutions?

9 Comments
Anshu
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Which screen guard are you using?
0 Likes
Jarold001
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

I am so sorry for not responding as I found a temporary solution and had forgotten about my post. Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I don't use a screen protector of any kind. I was able to use a deprecated app, KinScreen, from my Note 9 phone, and it will keep my phone screen on as long as it is held in a user-defined orientation. I have it set so the screen stays on while I hold the phone between a 15 to 70 degree angle, then dims and turns off when laying it flat or when it is in a 71 - 90 degree upright position e.g., when in my pocket.

Nonetheless, the Stay Awake when Viewing alone does not work. Maybe an OTA download someday will fix this issue.

Anshu
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Try turning off and on all sensors
0 Likes
S_Kumar73
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Check if you enabled any power saving mode or extra dim.
Or if in case u using battery guardians and enabled auto dim apps, then turn it off.1677635531154_1677635531134_0.jpg
0 Likes
Jarold001
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

I am so sorry for not responding as I found a temporary solution and had forgotten about my post. Thanks for taking the time to respond. No power savings options applied. Even if so, I would not think that they should counteract the screen timeout mode function.

I was able to use a deprecated app, KinScreen, from my Note 9 phone, and it will keep my phone screen on as long as it is held in a user-defined orientation. I have it set so the screen stays on while I hold the phone between a 15 to 70 degree angle, then dims and turns off when laying it flat or when it is in a 71 - 90 degree upright position e.g., when in my pocket.

Nonetheless, the Stay Awake when Viewing alone does not work. Maybe an OTA download someday will fix this issue.

0 Likes
Lightnyboy
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
raise issues & fix it with software update try to reset your phone it's looks like software issue
0 Likes
Jarold001
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

I am so sorry for not responding as I found a temporary solution and had forgotten about my post. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I've had a couple of download already, but nothing to fix the issue. I am taking your advice to reach back out to Samsung Customer Support.

I was able to use a deprecated app, KinScreen, from my Note 9 phone, and it will keep my phone screen on as long as it is held in a user-defined orientation. I have it set so the screen stays on while I hold the phone between a 15 to 70 degree angle, then dims and turns off when laying it flat or when it is in a 71 - 90 degree upright position e.g., when in my pocket.

0 Likes
cs-member11
Options
Galaxy S

Dear Samsung Member,

Greetings from Samsung Customer Support!

We acknowledge your query and apologize for the same. We would request you register your concern in Samsung Members Application. So, our concern team gets back to you as soon as possible.

Please follow this path to register your concern in Samsung Members Application (Open Samsung Members Application>Support>Ask a question/Tap an error report>Type your query>Send)

Note. please attach the error log file within 15 minutes of the error occurring.

Thank you for writing to Samsung.

Warm Regards,
Samsung Customer Support

0 Likes
Jarold001
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

I am so sorry for not responding as I found a temporary solution and had forgotten about my post. Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

I was able to use a somewhat deprecated app, KinScreen, from my Note 9 phone, and it will keep my phone screen on as long as it is held in a user-defined orientation. I have it set so the screen stays on while I hold the phone between a 15 to 70 degree angle, then dims and turns off when laying it flat or when it is in a 71 - 90 degree upright position e.g., when in my pocket.

Nonetheless, the Stay Awake when Viewing alone does not work. Maybe an OTA download someday will fix this issue. My sister and cousin both purchased the S23 basic phone, and their Stay Awake when Viewing feature does not work either. Since both of them know very little about phone settings, I'm sure that their settings are pretty much set to their factory defaults.

In addition, my Note 9 had a feature to awaken the screen by waving my hand over the sensor. I don't see this feature on the S23 Ultra, so I wonder what the purpose of phone's sensor is about.

0 Likes