Highlighted
Active Level 6
Nobody can accuse the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G of not taking photography seriously. Flagship of the new S20 family, its four main cameras includes a whopping 100x “Space Zoom” courtesy of a clever folded telephoto lens. It’s one of the first things I played with when SlashGear’s Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G review unit landed, but as I quickly discovered, just because you can zoom, doesn’t mean you should.

Zooming in on the Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G shows just how much micro-movement the average phone has to deal with, however. You don’t even need to be at 100x magnification for it to be a problem. Even at 30x zoom, you can clearly see the preview twitching as it tries to compensate.

Go in all the way for that maximum-zoom shot, meanwhile, and things get frustrating. Even trying to find a subject to roughly frame them is tricky: Samsung includes a targeting thumbnail to help, but it’s still a challenge. That’s doubly so if your subject is moving at all. Often, by the time I got my squirrel friends vaguely in sight, they moved before I could hit the shutter button.

5 Comments
Highlighted
Expert Level 5
the thing is it's totally gimmick
Highlighted
what gimmick
Highlighted
100x ofcourse no one is going to use it either way moreover picture quality is da.mn poor
Highlighted
Active Level 3
dt9
Highlighted
Active Level 3
oSupport feedback Support feedback from