Original topic:

S20 FE 5G - Fingerprint sensor not working

(Topic created on: 11-23-2022 05:36 PM)
rakeshk65
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
Hi,

The fingerprint sensor on my S20 FE 5G is not working. Whenever I use it, it says 'Keep your finger on the sensor a little longer'. I have tried using it from the lock screen, add new fingerprint screen and diagnostics, but the error is same everywhere. 

What could be the issue here? Please help.

Thanks.

11 Comments
Sid_Karna
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
4th person to report this issue on s20fe. When did you buy the phone?
0 Likes
rakeshk65
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Last year, on 5 Oct 2021.
0 Likes
yatish13
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy S
I am facing same issue since yesterday, bought the phone on 4 oct 2021
0 Likes
Thauseef
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
You are put too fast, slow down a bit
0 Likes
ラシイト
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
exactly, @rakeshk65 slow down it wont hurt to slow down.
0 Likes
rakeshk65
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
That's not the case here. I've been using it for over a year and it was working fine until today.
0 Likes
rakeshk65
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
1. Could be
2. I'm using the original one that came applied with the device. There aren't any big scratches either.
3. It's not working in any way, tried after cleaning the screen too.
4. ...
5. I deleted one of the saved fingerprints and now I'm not able to add it back.

On placing the finger on the sensor, the light glows for an instant and turns off with error the message. It does not even glow up for long. I do not remove my finger from the sensor, the light goes off first and then the message appears.

By the way, the fingerprint has been working fine since one year and it was working until 1-2 days back too. It suddenly stopped working at all today.
0 Likes
cs_member8
Options
Galaxy S

Dear Samsung Customer,

Greetings from Samsung Customer Support!

We acknowledge your query and apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and will surely assist you regarding the same and please follow the easy troubleshooting steps which might help to solve the issue.

When you scan your fingerprints on the device, be aware of the following conditions that may affect the feature’s performance:

• The fingerprint recognition sensor recognizes fingerprints. Ensure that the fingerprint recognition sensor is not scratched or damaged by metal objects, such as coins, keys, and necklaces.

• The screen protector supplied with the device may cause the fingerprint recognition sensor to malfunction. Remove the screen protector to improve fingerprint sensitivity.

• Ensure that the fingerprint recognition area and your fingers are clean and dry.

• The device may not recognize fingerprints that are affected by wrinkles or scars.

• The device may not recognize fingerprints from small or thin fingers.

• If you bend your finger or use a fingertip, the device may not recognize your fingerprints. Make sure to cover the entire fingerprint recognition sensor with your finger.

• To improve recognition performance, register fingerprints of the hand used most often to perform tasks on the device.

• In dry environments, static electricity can build up in the device. Avoid using this feature in dry environments or before using the feature, discharge static electricity by touching a metal object.
Note: You should make sure to use the highest central parts of fingerprint or the most curved part of fingerprint when you register or scan fingerprint

In case the issue still occurs. Please register your concern in Samsung Members Application (Open Samsung Members Application > Get help > Send Feedback > Error report).

Thank you for writing to us.
Warm Regards,
Samsung Customer Support.

0 Likes
timelapse
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
The same problem I'm facing on my S20 FE 5G variant
0 Likes