Original topic:

S10 Lite update schedule leaves much to be desired

(Topic created on: 05-26-2020 12:27 PM)
Elomnusk
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
I've been a Samsung user for a long time. When my Note 9 died, I had the option to go for either an OnePlus or a Samsung device (such is the condition of the Indian smartphone landscape - Sony/Google exited, LG never gives updates, other Chinese brands have pathetic UX). Back then, the OnePlus device in the same price range was actually having a few features better than the S10 Lite, especially the cameras and near stock experience. But being invested heavily in the Samsung ecosystem (from Buds+ to Tab S6), I decided to try the first Snapdragon mid-ranger from them.

I've been very happy with this device so far. Except for the rather lackluster camera, absence of headphone jack, and waterproofing, the S10 Lite had held up really well for day to day use. The battery life has been an absolute treat (coming from an Exynos Note 9) and the display no longer suffers from the black crush bug in Netflix hdr. But the one aspect that's bugging me now is the lack of updates. Security patch isn't that important as long as you're sticking to playstore and downloading mostly popular apps from reputed developers. But OneUI 2.1 brings a lot of updates to the camera that I'm sorely missing these days.

The update has been rolled out two months ago in Germany, a month ago in SA countries but still there's no update for Indian users. I was okay with the lockdown restriction logic for a month, but we have to remember that there's no Exynos vs Snapdragon here - the S10 Lite is the same device throughout the world. A lot of Asian countries use the same 4G bands we use, so that's not what's holding it back either. And the lockdown is practically over now but we still don't have an update. At this point, I don't know what's stopping the update from getting rolled out, and honestly, I've grown tired of waiting.

I've received updates for my Note 9 before most other countries got it, but that was a flagship. If this is how Samsung deals with mid range phones then I'm going to switch to OnePlus or some other brand pretty soon. This isn't a threat, I'm just posting this because if one day Samsung gets pushed out of the midrange by OnePlus, then hopefully some executive will read this thread and understand how they've lost the loyal customers in India. 

Adios. 
4 Comments
sameermehta2
Active Level 7
Galaxy S

Try and put a email from samsung website under write to ceo option it would be a better reach,here I don't think any Samsung employee even bothers to read anything

0 Likes
Galaxy S
This is absolutely true.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Even I have decided to switch over other brands.
0 Likes
Savannah
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
Yes, i believe the same. S10 lite is an overall great device. It has so much potential to be one of the most popular Samsung devices in upper midrange sections, where the competition is very less already. But i don't understand why Samsung is being so negligent of this baby? However i disagree with you one on point that security updates aren't that important. See its not just about Google play store apps, Android is easy to **bleep** by various other means and people aren't always so careful. Security patches are required to patch those holes. And if this device was promised security patch updates then why not provide them? And if they skipped the update for one month its understandable but since Feb there's no security patch update, which is risky no matter how much careful one is with only downloading apps from play store and etc.
So if only Samsung pays some attention to this child, it can grow up very fine and make the parent proud, but dunno why Samsung is treating it as unwanted.
0 Likes