Original topic:

Heating issue in Galaxy S20 fe 5g

(Topic created on: 07-01-2021 10:24 AM)
lucks04
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
Did anyone face heating issue near the camera bumb after june security patch update.? 
lucks04
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Abhi tak ka tumhra experience kesa rha .?
0 Likes
ABag_04
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Hi,

I observed less heating while using the device with 60hz refresh rate. But heating is there in my model it does gets heated up abrubtly. Like while video calling, while watching videos at 1080p HD with speaker On.
Currently due to lockdown i am working from home which means i am in a cooler temperature.
Maybe in outside environment phone will heat up more and will affect usage.
0 Likes
gadget_geek
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Hello
I am thinking of purchasing this model. Does your phone still heat up while normal usage?
0 Likes
ABag_04
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Hi ,

I will try to help you at my best kindly evaluate your usage wisely before purchasing this model.

I have been using my S20 FE 5G from last 2 weeks now , i observed the heating issue bit abrubtly.

My Refresh rate/Motion smoothness setting is at 60 Hz

At my place i have room temperature ranging from 28°C to 35°C and in sometime (+-)2-3°C give or take

My daily usage :
I have screen time usage around 8-9 hours screentime with dual sim using multi-tasking like whats app call, outlook, teams , playing music , sometimes watching series on amazon video/Netflix.

- Yes the device does get heated up abrubtly , it is not constantly heating up like not like its always hot . But sometime it touched 46-47°C (while video calling/watching videos at 1080 on speaker) and its not possible to use while calling with ear piece mode. I have been using my bluetooth headset for most of the time.

What i like about this phone -
1) display.
2) Its smooth while multi tasking.
3) Camera is decent.
4) software seems clean and smooth too.

What i dont like :
1) Heating issue which occurs abruptly.

I switched my brand from Oneplus to Samsung bcz Oneplus 9 series is useless on the name of 5g phones. And samsung s20 Fe 5G was the only 5g phone i liked in my budget range

Thanks.Screenshot_20210702-204300_Digital Wellbeing_76933.jpgScreenshot_20210630-184052_CPU-Z_76465.jpg
gadget_geek
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Thanks you so much for replying.

Thing is I did a lot of observation and found this device is pretty much a complete package. It has almost everything, hence I decided to purchase it because my requirements are heavy multitasking, music, web browsing, besides I read continuously so I have hundreds of files in my phone. I watch Netflix and prime. So I need a great display and powerful processor because otherwise phone will not be able to handle my usage and will get slow. However this heating issue is concerning me. I don't want to spend on a phone that gets warm even with mild usage.

Now I don't know which model to go with. This phone was perfect as per my budget. :(
0 Likes
ABag_04
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Trust me there are alot of phones options out there, the more you compare the more confusion it creates.
Alot of chinese brand - Why i dont opt for them is bcz of their bloatware/ads modified OS/softwares they dont give a clean software expirence.

This phone is a good option. But again it all depends on usage and how you use your phone, if it fits your usuage its a phone for you.
I will personally suggest get 1-2 yr extended warranty for any samsung phone if you planning to use for 2-3 yrs like me. Abrubt heating can damage other components in long run better be secured with warranty.

And there is hardly any 5g chipset phone in market which does not get heated up in this price range.

Maybe samsung will work on the thermal mitigation algorithms to control the heating.
gadget_geek
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Thank you for your kind advice.

Like I told you my demands are simple. Watching Netflix, streaming videos, YouTube, music and doing my research on tons of pdf files. I want a powerful processor, good display,decent camera and a smooth UI. Those are my basic requirements. I don't play games.

As far as Chinese phones are concerned, I don't prefer them at all. I have always avoided them for obvious reasons. So won't go that way.

But none of my previous Samsung phones had heating issues. Now I see it's almost a common factor. Sad.

Right now I have stopped searching, because you are right, the more I see the more confused I will be.

Hence there are almost no replacement for this phone right now. I thought to go with A52 but then it has a midrange processor. Won't work for me. Now I can either opt for S10 lite or go for Pixel 4a.

I don't know. I am still as much confused as I was before. Because investing on a phone that will or can cause me trouble doesn't seem to be a reasonable choice to me. Because I want my phone to be in a good position for at least 3-4 years.

P.S. can you tell me if all the latest Android phones with powerhouse processors has the same heating problem?
ABag_04
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Hi , Thanks for your comment.

Sorry but without compromising on the heating part aren't we expecting alot from these small gadgets. Our usage and requirements are growing (which is totally normal) and the mobile companies are also trying to meet these requirements with heavy processor, good battery, good screen, good camera, good refresh rate in as compact design as possible.

If you pick up latest android phone with powerhouse 5G processor with SAmoled display with 120Hz refresh rate + good battery - then its common that phone with this config. will get warm and eventually hot depending upon usuage.

There is very thin line between a warm phone and a hot phone. I refer to battery temperature 35°Cto 40°C (maximum limit) as warm - while multitasking between 02-03 normal apps and with screen continously On with streaming some video in between and using for continously 45-60 min.
Now i am considering the city mobile network condition which is common around India.
Few obvious/common reason for considering this temperature range as warm is - we are using dual sim, 01 sim will be in good coverage (signal strength -80 to -90dbm), another sim might be in average/poor coverage (signal strength -95dBm above) , now apart from your multi-tasking there is alot of processor/modem activity ongoing in background like your phone and cell network are continuously communicating to make sure you get the best cell coverage/data speed/if you lucky you will see 4g+ (which is carrier aggregation- NW gives you extra resources for better data speed when you have heavy data speed requirement) all these does add up to more modem processing and leads to increase in CPU/battery temperature.

Now 40-45°C according to me is hot , when i stress up more on my usage now im using like gaming continously with data on , few background default app are running as usual. Then it will surely touch 45°C .

Now if it goes and reach 46,47°C then that very bad for your phone battery life and other components. Above 46°C is alarming hot for any phone. If any device touches this 46°C one should just stop using the phone n let it cool down.

To be honest , at its good position i am looking forward to 2 years with this phone later if i get lucky and my hardware stands still with me it might go to 3rd year . More than 3 years i dont think any phone will with stand in a good postion.

These are my open view about heating issues/durability/smartphones. I am no expert on smartphone but only a common user with open and analytical view to this topic.

Thanks
gadget_geek
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
First of all a big thank you for a such detailed critical explanation about smartphones and their demanding performance.

The points you mentioned are all credible facts . I knew those but I almost forgot how much we are asking from our device. Earlier phones were not used to this much multitasking, but things have changed now. But since I don't play games,and use only one sim card, I hope for me it won't get abnormally hot, going by your observation.

my basic needs are browsing Reading and streaming netflix.

Besides I usually use my phones for at least 3 years maximum. So when I am investing in a phone that costs almost 47-50K I hope to use it for at least 3 and a half years if not more.

I just don't want to face any hassle. I have never been to service center in my life although I am using Samsung for years. So that's all I want, a hassle free experience from whatever device I choose. Besides this phone received the best phone of the year award, someone told me. So according to that cannot I expect it to work for me without giving me much trouble?

Plus I store all my data and files on my phone. I have thousands of them, so if anything goes wrong with the device all of a sudden, i might lose everything.

But as I went through S10 lite's reviews I saw almost zero issues on heating. Yet that phone too has got a good flagship processor if I am not wrong. But it's out of stock on Flipkart. So I don't know. Besides if I buy S20FE from Amazon and face any issues will they refund my money?

Right now I am considering all this and waiting to make the right choice.

Thank you for taking time to read my long rambling. 🙂

And yeah i don't mind 5 g. 4 is fine for me as of now. but like you said all powerhouse processors are bound to generate heat. so i guess i will have to live with that. but a phone's basic function is to make calls and if even that generates heat then don't you think that's a fault in itself?
dsaikat127
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
No heating in regular usage
0 Likes