cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Galaxy s21 Ultra; Unable to Connect to 2.4 band on router with 5 GHz band of same SSID name

(Topic created on: 05-25-2022 03:33 PM)
ebaleytherogue
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

I am unable to force my s21 Ultra to connect to my Google Wi-Fi's 2.4 GHz band. It consistently connects to the router's 5 GHz band.

I need to connect to the 2.4 band so my various smart home devices, which connect only to 2.4, can be controlled by their respective apps, on my phone.

In Google Wi-Fi, there is no option to either a) separate the bands, by SSID name; both bands share the same SSID and passphrase, or b) disable the 5 GHz band temporarily.

In the old days, my Android devices had an Advanced settings option, under the Wi-Fi settings, that allowed the device (phone) to choose to prioritize its connection option to either 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz. That option does not exist on the s21 Ultra (at least not that I can find).

Google seems unwilling to add granular control, of its dual-band nature, to its Google Home app (the app that controls its router configuration), so I am hoping the Samsung community has a solution.

Oh yes, and I've tried getting "as far away from the router as possible" to "force the phone to connect to the 2.4 GHz band," but that is not working. Doing that results in me being so far away, from the smart devices I am trying to add to my network, that the idea does not work.

Thank you for any ideas!

3 Comments
ebaleytherogue
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Note that I was able to deal with this issue by fashioning a Faraday cage, of sorts, out of an iron, stove-top pot. In fact, it worked almost too well (as Faraday cages do), but I mucked around with propping the "far" side up a bit, with various objects, allowing the 2.4 band, to crawl and scratch its way, to the far side of the house, while keeping a firm boot on the 5 band's chest.

Obviously, this solution, while enjoyable, is not reliable, so an Android solution would be best. 

0 Likes
Tsogo_sam05
Options
Galaxy S

Good day ebaleytherogue, please send us a detailed description of your query to tellus@samsung.com , you may add your contact details and we'll contact you. 

Kindly attention it to Tsogo_sam05. 

0 Likes
ebaleytherogue
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Note that I was able to deal with this issue by fashioning a Faraday cage, of sorts, out of an iron, stove-top pot. In fact, it worked almost too well (as Faraday cages do), but I mucked around with propping the "far" side up a bit, with various objects, allowing the 2.4 band, to crawl and scratch its way, to the far side of the house, while keeping a firm boot on the 5 band's chest.

Obviously, this solution, while enjoyable, is not reliable, so an Android solution would be best. 

0 Likes