Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Full Backup and Reinstall of Phone

(Topic created on: 05-13-2024 06:33 PM)
JAXXOB
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
Quick question, I think there must be some sort of operating system issue with my Samsung s23 FE because it isn't upgrading to UI 6.0, I don't have an old phone phone to move my data to and from so how do you do a full backup and reinstall (including WhatsApp that is always a pest to get over 100%)

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
TeeA
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Your Samsung account and your Google account would have most phone settings and list of apps backed up, but your media and files in my files have to be backed up externally whether through an sd card, computer or via the cloud. If you don't have those 3 options handy then unfortunately you'll lose everything.

View solution in context

0 Likes
Solution
A-Galaxy
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
You have to regularly manually back up the WhatsApp chats to Google Drive. Sometimes, automatic backup doesn't work.

View solution in context

0 Likes
Solution
TeeA
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Just checked my WhatsApp backup settings and I realised that even if it's set to backup weekly, the last time it did was last year November 💀 😂 I'm trying to backup right now.

I was looking for the manual backup setting so that it backs up to the phone but I've also just realised that ever since I changed from that to Google Drive, that option isn't there anymore 🤔 I was going to suggest that before you wipe the phone you should manually backup and just copy the WhatsApp folder from My Files externally then it's safe.

*Also remembered that they moved it from root to Android/media/com.whatsapp

View solution in context

0 Likes
13 Comments
Solution
TeeA
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Your Samsung account and your Google account would have most phone settings and list of apps backed up, but your media and files in my files have to be backed up externally whether through an sd card, computer or via the cloud. If you don't have those 3 options handy then unfortunately you'll lose everything.
0 Likes
JAXXOB
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
I have all of those available but for some reason you always end up losing data, especially whatsapp that is pesky for being the no 1 application in the world
0 Likes
Solution
A-Galaxy
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
You have to regularly manually back up the WhatsApp chats to Google Drive. Sometimes, automatic backup doesn't work.
0 Likes
TeeA
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
I was looking around the backup settings and I had to read from WhatsApp's blog that they're making people use their Google Drive for backups. So if the automatic backup is not working, a train of thought is that the user's google storage is almost full so it doesn't backup. I wonder if they've programmed a popup to say that your account storage is full and that the user needs to free space.

Another train of thought is that even with manual backup back then, the WiFi and mobile backing up would always clash since the phone prefers to back up over WiFi and not backup via mobile data even if you've set it that way 😑
0 Likes
JAXXOB
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
I have a paid Google drive subscription of about 40gb available, backup is less than 10gb, see it completed a manual backup now since I started the thread.
TeeA
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Same here 😂
0 Likes
JAXXOB
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Yeah that also an issue 😂 doesn't want to manually backup. Any way it actually works is to move it from one phone to an other using smart switch.
0 Likes
Solution
TeeA
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Just checked my WhatsApp backup settings and I realised that even if it's set to backup weekly, the last time it did was last year November 💀 😂 I'm trying to backup right now.

I was looking for the manual backup setting so that it backs up to the phone but I've also just realised that ever since I changed from that to Google Drive, that option isn't there anymore 🤔 I was going to suggest that before you wipe the phone you should manually backup and just copy the WhatsApp folder from My Files externally then it's safe.

*Also remembered that they moved it from root to Android/media/com.whatsapp
0 Likes
JAXXOB
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
The auto and manual backup always fails, takes too long, even if I cut down the data significantly, but also don't have any windows pcs in the house out if principle so can't backup / restore using smart switch, think I will just borrow a phone from a mate, do the transfer (backup everyone to cloud of course just to make sure) and then move it back after clean wipe. Just make sure you didn't forget passwords for anything 😔 true story.
0 Likes