Original topic:

Battery Drain by Google Messages App | S21U

(Topic created on: 07-29-2021 03:05 PM)
aaqibrk
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
Usually, my phone (S21 Ultra) would lose 3-4% battery overnight. But recently (sometime around July 27, 2021), I started losing 15-18% battery on an idle, unused phone. This is the Exynos version. (screenshots below).

When I checked, I saw that most of the drain is happening via the Google Messages app. It's happening for the first time, and I don't know what just happened.

Is someone else facing this, and is there a fix?

Kindly let me know. Thanks!

14 Comments
HECKER_Sr
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
Which phone?
0 Likes
aaqibrk
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
S21 Ultra. Though I've mentioned it in the headline, shall add it to the post as well .
HECKER_Sr
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
Sorry stupid to ask 🤪 didn't noticed that😅
0 Likes
HECKER_Sr
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
I don't have that type of issues in my phone or if you have that issue simply clear the Google Messages Data from settings 》Scroll down to see Apps, click on it 》Again Scroll down till you Google Messages, click on it 》click on Storage 》on the bottom left corner of your screen you will see a clear data option, click it and let me know after 1 day if it fixed or not. If you've done it do the same process again and let me know by sending a screenshot of battery status to this comment 🥰
aaqibrk
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Thank you, Avishek. You're 'cool' indeed 😁

I've disabled the app for now. But will try your suggestion if the situation persists later. Thanks!
0 Likes
A00N
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Clear app cache for message app, then restart the phone. Then select optimise battery usage. Optimise it.

That should solve this issue.
0 Likes
aaqibrk
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Thank you. I managed to fix it hy disabling the Google Messages app and then moving to Samsung Messages as default.
A00N
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
I found both of them to be inefficient.
So I am using SMS Organiser, by Microsoft. Here's a link in case you want to try it.
It organises messages nicely and neatly.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.android.smsorganizer

aaqibrk
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Thank you for the recommendation. This looks slick and worth a try. Will give it a shot. 👍
0 Likes