Accidental touch protection/prevention (pocket mode) not working

(Topic created on: 06-23-2022 01:51 AM)
adistylik
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S

New Update is added below...

Issue description:

The option 'Accidental touch protection' under settings doesn't seem to work on my S20 FE 5G.

No matter if I turn on or off the toggle, practically speaking, the screen turns on unintentionally in my pocket and interacts with the display.
This causes unintentional vibrations, interaction with notification, and above all, battery drain.

Actions taken:

I took this issue to a service centre, and they were able to reproduce this behaviour consistently but denied acknowledging it as an issue since S10 and A30 were also having the same broken experience. Their reason seems very silly and doesn't make any professional sense.

Background checks:

• I've verified with https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00083344/ and the feature is expected to work as advertised.
  • The service centre and sales team asked me if the issue persists when I turn off 'double tap to wake'.
    My question to them was, if I turn off 'double tap to wake', what is 'Accidental touch protection' trying to protect? They don't have an answer.
  • I've owned several smartphones in the past and none of them had this kind of issue.

Question:

So, does anyone here know what is that toggle supposed to even do?

Update 1:

I confirmed with the chat support regarding this feature:

Click to expand images

What does the feature doWhat does the feature doConfirmationConfirmationother confirmationsother confirmations

According to this conversation, it is further verified that the feature is expected to work as advertised.

14 Comments
cs-member13
Expert Level 4
Galaxy S

Dear Samsung Member,

Greetings from Samsung Customer Support!

Please register your concern in Samsung Members Application (Open Samsung Members Application > Get help > Send Feedback > Error report).

Thank you for writing to Samsung.

Warm Regards,
Samsung Customer Support

0 Likes
adistylik
Active Level 3
Galaxy S

Already tried that. They asked me to visit the service centre and the service centre asked me to reach out to customer support - Essentially making me run circles.

I'm asking for a simple clarification - What is the feature supposed to do?
How difficult is that to answer?

0 Likes
stpj
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I started to experience this issue a few weeks ago. I purchased my S20 FE one year ago and this function worked well before. (For this aspect,  but on the other hand it seemed to be overly sensitive, it has triggered often in low lit places)

If I put the phone to my pocket screen outside, the problem not persists anymore. So I suspect the feature not rely on the front light sensor/camera data as before but the back ones. It has flipped for some reason.

0 Likes
tommcml
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I just started having this issue and after reading "stpj's comment, i checked my phone to see if the camera was set on the front or rear camera.  Turns out it was on the front camera.  switching it to the rear camera seems to have fixed the issue for me.  maybe that's it? 

0 Likes