Original topic:

5 months Update on S10+, Disappointed on Camera

(Topic created on: 07-22-2019 12:51 PM)
TGWFJ
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
Before anyone thinks of commenting, please make sure you understand what i am trying to share here. I switched from S7edge to S10 plus. I KNOW WHAT I HAD, AND ITS NOT EVEN SLIGHTLY COMPARABLE WITH THE RESULTS OF WHAT I AM GETTING NOW!

I have discussed about this with samsung as feedbacks multiple times, replies i got were 
- Reset phone , clear cache etc.. , reset settings (Did nothing)
- Feed back was sent to engineers and will get back soon ( Nothing happend)

The techincal feature of the camera are worthy of getting a good photo. But the camera app software takes and manipulates the photo to get a very disappointing result. Be it normal mode, pro mode, live focus mode , wide angle, etc.... the software makes really bad choices of settings to take the photo and also process it by softening and reduces sharpness.

To talk about that in detail 
- ISO is always high while shooting in any mode other than pro mode, hence too much brightness, noisy and grainy, very bad quality.
- Shutter speed is low also causing all these problems, and to add on, small shakes effects the picture
- Even in Pro mode, viewing the RAW files, the software have manipulated the picture !

Be it sunny, cloudy, dark - all lighting conditions will have a bad result. Its really disappointing to see that the phone is being marketed for its camera pictures at the same time it does not even closely reach to the expectations. 

In all the pictures attached, you can find that the scene is well lit. All though
- Blacks arent dark, grains can be seen all over
- Some photos are hazy
- The leaves on the tree are like some cloud of green color, not even distinguishable!
- Indoor wall paint seems hazy eventhough it is well lit.
- If you observe on the lines on buildings and other parts,  you can see that everything is softened and there is just a small color variation rather than a sharp line.

Am in for a debate on this. I cant understand how people support this type of service from samsung at the same time they market for a really different experience!

9 Comments
Galaxy S
Have you tried changing the camera resolution in camera settings ?
0 Likes
TGWFJ
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
I have read and seen videos online regarding this. I dont know if you have and S10+, but my friend, there is no option to change resolution in S10+. There is an option to change aspect ratios, and many say 4:3 ratio will have the highest resolution. I have changed and compared the photos. This over softening issue exists. I had the S7edge and used to use 16:9 aspect ration . Had way better results than this. Sharper images
Galaxy S
True, just now I checked my wife's S10+ and there is no option to change the resolution in camera settings, you can only change it for video camera, I don't know the reason why but I have this option on my both Note 8 & 9, let's hope that Samsung will add this settings in the upcoming updates.
RyanRxynolds
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
I have a Note 9 which was released before the s10, so yours might have this option too. opening the camera and then clicking on the settings button will take you to the camera setting where there will be an option that says "Scene Optimiser" this means the the pictures you take will be edited by the phone and then saved as the original copy, it could be very good help to some people but I prefer mine off to get the original unedited pictures taken directly from the camera.
TGWFJ
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
To my knowledge "Scene Optimizer" only palys around with colors, Higlights, Exposure. It has nothing to do with Grains, quality of image, sharpness. On/Off, those problems will not go. 🤷🏻‍♀️
0 Likes
Nuraddin
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
The photos that you have put here are realy a bit blurry and softened. I checked my S10plus's camera settings but the "Scene Optimiser" does not have any effect on my photos as you can see from the picture that I have attached below. It maybe caused by some kind of damage on the camera. If I were, I would definitely took the phone to the service.
TGWFJ
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Brother, if you look at the foot path of your picture, you can see those grains That should not be there. But over all the picture you took does look better in quality. Just curious, did you crop the photo or took the photo in landscape (tilted the phone). I had bought the S10plus along with 2 of my other friends, all of us experience the same problem. Its not just me. And as of to Scene Optimiser, what the feature does is control the colors, highlights and exposure, nothing else I believe. It wont add/remove grains , It wont effect sharpness. But on/off, the result we get is still the same other thant difference in color.
0 Likes
Nuraddin
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
I can tell that the grains you see is mostly about the loss of quality when uploading the photo here, as they compress the media to take up less space. And, yes, the photo was taken in the landscape mode. When it comes to the feature that controls the colors and stuff, well, obviously S10 and Plus versions does not have any options for optimizing the picture quality, which I hope they will add it in the future. But what you can do, yet, is to have a small napkin around you and keep your lenses clean before taking a photo and always put the light behind the camera. If that doesn't work for you, the phone has to be checked at the service.
0 Likes
TGWFJ
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Anyone can literally try out if they experience the same. Take a photo where ever you are and post in the comments, be it a tree, road, car, indoor etc... am pretty sure you will notice what I am trying to bring up here.
0 Likes