Active Level 3
Samsung Galaxy Note 10/S10 can't play regular mp4 video files with dark shades properly. There is massive black crush gradient banding present throughout the whole video noticable especially in dark scenes.

Issue is present in all of the following scenarios I have tested:-

Apps used: Samsung video player, vlc player(hardware decoding), mx player(hardware decoding)

Files tested: 8-bit mp4, 10-bit SDR mp4, 10-bit HDR mp4

Display Settings: screen mode- natural & vivid, video enhancer- on & off

Plese see the attached files📎

👇crushed blacks causing gradient banding
(view in My Videos)

SAMPLE FILE:

Play this video using MX player/VLC(with hardware decoding) in maximum brightness in your Note10/S10 and also in other Phone (preferably a OnePlus/iPhone) and see the difference for yourself, especially at 0:10 in the video.

This issue is not present when playing the same video files using my old s8+ and oneplus 7, such a shame.

22 Comments
Highlighted
Active Level 3
same problem mere galaxy s9 plus me bhi hai
Highlighted
Expert Level 5
how to check this
Highlighted
Expert Level 5
how to check brother even I want to check as well
Highlighted
Expert Level 5
ok
Highlighted
Expert Level 5
mine is fine thank you
Highlighted
Active Level 3
@kawasakinijaons9 plz can you also test for video gradient banding using the link I have updated in the original reply.
Highlighted
Expert Level 5
all is working fine thank for your concern
Highlighted
Expert Level 5
grade is little dull on the video but after testing several videos more like that one I found that the grade is little dull even I tested this same video on my iphone 11 pro I found the same thing as per also tested same thing on sis note 10 and a8 plus of my father and j7 pro I found same gradient dull effect but very minor not enough any major to notice In total I tested same thing on my s9 , j7 pro , iphone 11 pro , a8 plus , note 10 in total 5 devices the gradient is little dull no to notice much of the difference not only that I even tested the amazon prime, netflix videos and even YouTube and also downloaded the things from youtube and and torrent of same 10 bits video I found nothing like of black crush issue either but very little gradient dull
Highlighted
Active Level 3
please check my new post, and please follow the steps I have mentioned throughly, as I would love to hear from you.🙂
https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S/Severe-Bug-Black-Crush-Gradient-Banding-in-Video-Playba...