Original topic:

Note 9 screen discoloring and showing grain after March 2020 update

(Topic created on: 04-07-2020 12:47 PM)
srikrishnap
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy Note

I am on Latest build of Samsung Note 9 - India, with March security update on board. 

I noticed that my screen shows grain whenever the brightness auto adapts to lower levels, it doesn't get normal until I keep it locked for some time and then unlock. 

Model code:  N960F (INS)

Baseband number: N960FXXS5DTB6

Software version: One UI 2.0

Build Number: QP1A.190711.020.N960FXXS5DTB6

Android Version: 10

I tried to keep the auto brightness (adaptive) to off and yet this is happening occasionally when watching videos or pictures or simply pulling down the notification bar. 

I also Factory reset it today and I found it is happening right from start - during the setup screens. 

I am pretty disappointed something like an update is pushed and that breaks the quality of a device! 

It's livable but very annoying when you are showing a picture to someone and suddenly you see the screen becomes discolored and there are grainy black lines all over the display. 

Troubleshooting steps undergone:

1. Switch off Adaptive display - Issue persists

2. Boot to Safe Mode - Issue persists

3. Did a Factory Reset - Issue persists

4. Turned off Dark mode - Issue persists

5. Connected phone to PC with USB debugging ON - Issue persists

6. USB debugging turned off - Issue persists

7. Developer Options disabled - Issue persists

8. Wipe cache partition - Issue persists

The colors only seem to deteriorate based on the brightness slider. I think some thing has changed in the adaptive lighting or brightness that is causing this. 

I dragged the slider from 0 - 100 I notice the grain when it hits 20% to 70% after that the colors are slightly better  though but as soon as I reduce I see the grains and dark lines back. 

This is seen only after March update. 

Has anyone else faced it?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy Note
go to app settings...search device health services.....click 3 dots top right corner..uninstall the update of it......
srikrishnap
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

I am afraid that doesn't help it either. The issue is caused right after boot and infact the first time I set up after a hard reset it appears. So I am not sure if this a setting that may cause it. 

I am suspecting the build of March to have some code that has broken this.  Prior to posting here I posted the same stuff to US.Samsung community, there I came across 3 - 4 users with same issue in last 48 hours. 

P.S The moderators couldn't suggest an action instead pushed me to our region to seek help. 

0 Likes
Arfa88
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

Doesn't work ... my phone too get this problem... i think samsung on purpose let this happen so people's will buy new phone again they have s20 note 20 

0 Likes
prachud
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note

Even I do face the problem, I am from the UK. It started giving problems after the March update and the problem is getting worse as days progress. I even did a factory reset but nothing helped.  Any ideas. ?

0 Likes
Anikroyale
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Man, keep in mind that factory reset is not the solution to every problem. The problem you are facing is directly a hardware issue, there is no use of resetting your device. Check your device at an authorized service center.
0 Likes
prachud
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note

basically, you are saying most of note9 users will face hardware problems after the recent upgrade?

srikrishnap
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
I am really scared because I have been posting for help in every nook and corner... and every where people are having the same issue since the March update... and some are clearly pointing out as a hardware issue .. I don't know how can several people in the world have a hardware issue at the same time.
prachud
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note

Can we please request Moderator to take necessary action on this issue at the earliest, I have seen in the US moderator agreed to take the action. 

srikrishnap
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
some users already faced it after Android 10 update on their Samsung note 9 early this year... and they did not know what to do instead went to service center and paid Rs. 18000 to replace a display which however is clearly a software introduced issue. I am tired of seeing my screen do it and I have reached out all forums to address this. but I am not sure why Samsung is mum on this matter since it's gradually affecting the crowd.
one more thing I found in one of the US forums where a user did some unofficial downgrade of his OS and that seems to have fixed his problem. So what does that mean? software is the culprit right? prayer to those who went to service center and got their display replaced because they couldn't do some self research!
Pavan111
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
it's the same issue which I have. however mine started just last week. I am not sure when I have downloaded the march update. this is for sure an issue caused by software update which may lead to a hardware issue caused deliberately or in error by samsung. I have never let a drop of water or moisture come near my phone & it does not have a single scratch or a dent.
Samsung should address this.