Original topic:

Note 10 Lite S-Pen tilt only works in diagonals

(Topic created on: 08-25-2020 11:06 PM)
Pilgo
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy Note

I recently bought a Note 10 lite, and noticed the tilt sensor of my S-Pen only works in diagonal strokes. As you can see in this video: https://youtu.be/9LYhYdq8vJM). It is inconsistent throughout the screen.

I've stumbled upon an app called Stylusis
 that shows raw sensor data and noticed the tilt / orientation turns in the opposite direction of the pen as you can see in this video https://youtu.be/46ZJ1y-pkX4.

I've talked to other Note 10 Lite users that reported the same issue. One person went to a Samsung Retail Store and checked all the Note devices available (including Note 20 Ultra) and reported that only the  Note 10 Lite has this issue.

Could this be related to software? Or is it a project flaw with the Note 10 Lite S-Pen or Digitizer? Can this be fixed?

I've bought this model specifically to draw. I'm really disappointed. :(

18 Comments
user20
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
its supposed to act like a pen that's what it does, its not an issue of your phone or anything. your phone's doing what its supposed to, act like a pen or a pencil. hope this helps
0 Likes
Pilgo
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note

Please, show me an example of a pen in which the tip rotate in the opposite direction of the body of the pen, as you move. You might mean well, but your comment is not helpful at all. 

I don't think you know how a pencil works. If you want to learn more about how about it, this video is pretty good https://youtu.be/pMC0Cx3Uk84?t=220

No other Note series device behaves this way, as mentioned on the original post. This alone shows there is something very wrong with the s-pen tilt / orientation sensor on the Note 10 Lite devices.

If you hold a pen a certain way and make a stroke in one direction, it should behave exactly the same when you make a stroke in another direction. It sure works like that on paper.

user20
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
bro, that's a hardware limitation of wacom digitizers. moreover, i've been using note series since note 2 and right now am at note 10+. in every device i've found the same thing.
0 Likes
Pilgo
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note

Your information goes against pretty much all the videos of people drawing on Note 10 / 10+, Note 9 family, etc., on youtube and, well, everybody else I've talked to (who owns a Note device). So I can't really take it in consideration, I'm sorry.

Read this, for example: https://www.infinitestudio.art/post.php?post=3524 . These guys draw and know what they're talking about. Quoting here for convenience: "That's weird. On my Note 8 the tilt works in any direction" and "I had opportunity to test Note 10 Lite in a Samsung retail store: this is a hardware issue. Only this particular model has tilt issues in certain directions. The results are consistent with the OP description. I have tested a couple of other models (like the note 20 series) and they are ok. I'd suggest reporting this issue to Samsung as they might be unaware of it."

If you have link to a concrete evidence that this is a Wacom digitizer limitation, please, share.

0 Likes
user20
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
if you think so, get your device checked
0 Likes
Pilgo
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note

As mentioned, the problem seems to affect all Note 10 Lites checked. And in different countries as well. Brazil, India, South Korea and Poland are among the ones from which people reported the same issue.

I can and will have my device checked, but it might be something affecting everybody. If that's the case, it's something Samsung has to deal internally. The guy at the repair shop won't be able to reprogram the phone kernel.

So I'm here, letting Samsung know of the problem.

I think you've made your opinion clear. Thanks for your time. Now let's wait for someone else to contribute to the discussion.

0 Likes
user20
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
and must be bro, you're nitpicking
0 Likes
Pilgo
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note

Quoting myself from the original post: "I've bought this model specifically to draw"

The fact that you don't use a certain feature, doesn't mean nobody use it.

I, for instance, never used NFC or Bixby. I wouldn't ditch a bug report of these two functions simply because of that. It's not nitpicking, it impair the drawing capabilities of the phone quite severely. 

Thanks for your time, though.

user20
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
i dont actually know this but my note10+ is free from this issue. might be a software bug, because if the digitizer fails, then it will be in specific models. now lets wait for one ui.2.5 or 3 and i'd say report this issue to their live chat agents