Original topic:

(Note 10 Lite) Huge speed drop on 5 GHz WiFi & no 5 GHz option for WiFi hotspot

(Topic created on: 11-26-2020 11:02 PM)
ShanePicardo
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy Note
Dear Samsung,

I come from a computer science engineering background... 2 months ago I switched to the Galaxy Note 10 Lite after using the Redmi K20 Pro for more than a year and prior to that, I've used One plus 6.
Here's a basic feature that I was using intensively on my previous phones that I've found missing on my Galaxy Note 10 Lite:

1) There's no option to use the 5 GHz band for broadcasting Wi-Fi hotspot. (My Note 10 Lite can connect with 5 GHz of 802.11ac Wi-Fi band on my Wi-Fi router, but it cannot broadcast in 5 GHz band as hotspot).

2) When I connect my phone to the 5 GHz band of 802.11ac with 80 MHz channel bandwidth using the Wi-Fi router to transfer a large file of 2 GB or more between my phone and computer or between my phone and Android TV, the transfer speed is about 18 to 20 Mega Bytes/ps (which is roughly 152 Mega Bits/ps) which is normal... But after about 20 or 25 seconds, for no apparent reason the transfer speed (Wi-Fi throughput) suddenly goes down to 6 Mega Bytes/ps (which is roughly 48 Mega Bits/ps).

The reason I care about these things is because 5 GHz Wi-Fi of 802.11ac with 80 MHz channel bandwidth allows me to have file transfer speeds of 28 to 30 Mega Bytes/ps (which is roughly 230 Mega Bits/ps). Which means I could transfer a 3 or 4 GB movie file between my phone and computer/android TV within 35 to 40 seconds on my previous phones. But because of the lack of 5 GHz hotspot option on my Note 10 Lite and because of the drop in speed on my phone after 20 seconds of transfer when connected to 5 GHz band via WiFi router, I have to now wait for 10 to 15 minutes to transfer a large file. My Wi-Fi router and computer and android tv are working absolutely fine. It's an issue in the phone software. 

Dear Samsung, I request you to kindly fix this software issue soon via OTA updates and also provide 5 GHz Wi-Fi hotspot option as well. Kindly acknowledge this post of mine as I'm waiting for a reply from your end.

Regards,
Shane Picardo.
(Computer Science B.Tech)
15 Comments
Vikramus
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
You have to factory reset your phone
0 Likes
ShanePicardo
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Are you sure? I'm wondering how does factory resetting my phone would automatically add a 5 GHz WiFi hotspot option in settings? I just installed the latest November security update a few days ago...
sameergupta
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
Thank god I found another educated person here. Even I'm a computer science engineer and I've been unable to find any help here on this forum because we have many 'educated' people here who have one simple answer for every problem - Factory reset.
Anyways, sorry to hear that you are facing such an issue with your device. I would recommend you to compare the wifi specifications of your device with Note 10. I have Note 10 so wont be able to help you directly but i can share wifi specifications with you if you want.
ShanePicardo
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Hahahaha well said buddy! Indeed we can't expect professional help from this forum except for replies like "do a factory reset". 😝
Anyways, back to the point, my phone is the "Galaxy Note 10 Lite" that I purchased for Rs. 40k in the Indian market. Since you have the Galaxy Note 10, do you have the option for broadcasting in 5 GHz hotspot band in settings?? for example one of my friend has Note 9 and he too doesn't have this option. My Galaxy Note 10 Lite is just perfect. Except for this 1 issue that I'm facing on this phone.
On my WiFi router, I use channel 36 with 80 MHz channel bandwidth on 5 GHz. Let's say I'm transferring a 3 GB 1080p movie from my phone to pc or phone to android tv or vice versa, for the first 20 seconds, the transfer speeds would be 18 to 20 MB/ps and then go down to just 5 to 6 MB/ps.
My WiFi router or PC or Android TV is perfectly fine. It's just a problem or software glitch with this model of the phone I guess...

Screenshot_20201126-224648_Settings_5002.jpg

0 Likes
sameergupta
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
I have the option to broadcast in 5 GHz but I can't say about speed as I usually dont transfer huge files wirelessly. Did you try any 3rd party hotspot app just to see if it provides an option to broadcast in 5 GHz?

Screenshot_20201127-120840_Settings_15402.jpg

0 Likes
ShanePicardo
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
When you use 5 GHz with 80 MHz channel bandwidth to transfer 1080p or 4K movies or large game files of 3 or 4 GB or more, trust me, it's better and much faster than most pendrives. For example, my previous phones or my mom's phone which is Infinix hot 9 that I purchased for Rs. 8,000 can broadcast 5 GHz hotspot and can transfer files point to point at speeds of about 35 MB/ps (around 280 Mb/ps). Which means a file of 1 GB would get transferred in less than 30 seconds wirelessly. :)
0 Likes
sameergupta
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
**bleep** that's dope! I'll definitely try it out.
My dad has a Note10 lite so I'll see if the same issue persists with his device as well and let you know.
0 Likes
billubakra
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note

Hi Shane,

Can you please check the issue that I am facing and share your inputs here https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Note/Hotspot-issue-with-Jio-sim/m-p/9758457

Thanks

0 Likes
billubakra
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note

Hi Sameer,

Can you please check the issue that I am facing and share your inputs here https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Note/Hotspot-issue-with-Jio-sim/m-p/9758457

Thanks

0 Likes