Original topic:

Is it worth investing more than Rupees 1L on Note 20U

(Topic created on: 08-20-2020 07:43 AM)
vikramdewan
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy Note
Okay, I've been using Samsung Note 9 since Sep 2018. A fantastic phone with a good price tag. 
Overall my experience with the phone had been phenomenon. No complaints in hardware, camera, software front.
I was looking forward to the new Note 20 Ultra, but the price point of ₹1.05L, made me think, is it worth investing that kind of money in a phone.
My first Android phone was Galaxy 8+ within a year upgraded to Note 9.
Now the biggest problem that I see with Samsung is, upgrades.
Note series is usually launched with an Android version that is close to its End of Cycle.
So after getting the new Note 9, within 5 months I got a new Android version and after another 11 was updated to 10. Within a span of 18 months two major updates and Samsung has fullfilled it's promise of 2 major updates and now the phone, that is not even 2 years old, will start to look and behave the same for the rest of its life. After the second major update, monthly security patches and other software updates starts to be delivered on alternative month basis. 
My Galaxy 8+ is a fantastic phone and after 3 years it still looks New but software side, NO COMMENTS.
This year the Note 20 is launched with low specs with high price tag. It's more like the Lite version, to show the prowess of Ultra, make it more desirable...
Not an Apple fan, but if I invest the same amount in iPhone, I'm rest assured that the phone will get major updates for next 4-5 years. That makes it a more lucrative option.

Samsung Galaxy 20Ultra was literally a faliure because the 20+ was a great option with the right price tag. I guess that's why Samsung decided to ditch Note20+ in favour of Ultra.

If Sansung has to charge a hefty amount, give us the assurance that the phone will recieve major Androis updates for next 3-4 years amd won't feel outdated after 18 months.

The phones have a good lifespan these days but it's the software updates, is what lets you down eventually, and Samsung really needs to do something about this. As by just increasing the prices to compete with Apple and with incremental upgrades to hardware, don't think it's justified.

I'll stick to my Note 9 for a while and then maybe will start exploring other options/manufacturers as it has stopped making sense to invest heavily into Samsung phones with a short upgrade span.

In my family we've
S7 Edge
S8+ 
Note 9
S20+

Most probably S20+ being the last of Samsung's

13 Comments
Š
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
On software side Note20 series will get 3 OS updates.
But E990 not worth 1lack.
Wait for next year's flagship.
0 Likes
vikramdewan
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
overall the phone is not worth a lakh, besides a 108 MP camera there is nothing extraordinary that it should command such a price
0 Likes
saarang007
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
Nice article! I am still rocking a Galaxy Note 8 since 3 years now, and it's been perfect! I agree that spending 1L on a phone is a tough and thoughtful decision, at least for a common man. I don't care much about OS updates every 6 months because current OS is extremely good....at least from Android 9. But if people want it, Samsung should support major OS updates at least upto 4 years now....because the price tag is also high.

I think Note 9 was the last perfect Note with all the features found in a modern smartphone.
How is the battery life?
I was, in fact, thinking of upgrading to Note 9 if Note 8 gets a good buy back price...lol :)
Especially due to better battery, dual speakers, better storage and S Pen features (because I use S pen quite often).
0 Likes
vikramdewan
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
rightly put, Note 9 was perfect, even the price... working flawlessly...
though the battery life has gone down because of excessive usage, but overall performance is still very good