Original topic:

Update via SMART SWITCH

(Topic created on: 08-09-2020 09:33 AM)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy M
Hey members,

I have been seeing various comments regarding update your device via SMART SWITCH, 
Why it is required, why we can't just download it manually through settings via Mobile data.

And if i use my computer and i don't have a WIFI connection so i gotta have to use mobile data so will it give me same results??

Please tell me as I'm thinking that whenever the new update commes for GALAXY M30 i will be doing it with SMART SWITCH!!

And one more thing Why is differences in the size of the update on SMART SWITCH as compared to the update we see on the settings page.

12 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
AjaiX2015
Active Level 7
Galaxy M
Smart Switch installs the complete operating system while in the mobile device only the required update is installed.
I myself has never used the smart switch to install updates and have never encountered a problem. But I use a fast and stable WiFi network to update my device.

View solution in context

Solution
Vishnu15
Active Level 6
Galaxy M
Bro the main thing you should update with smart switch is that it uodates whole of the system software even for a security patch update. Thus it is free of any software holes. Mobile data or wifi both are inconsistent. So u may get holes in the software while downloading, which leads to bugs. Thus ur phone crashes, heats up, lags and many things tend to happen

View solution in context

Solution
Vishnu15
Active Level 6
Galaxy M
Small security patch updates are okay to be downloaded using a fast and stable connection
But it is recommended to download a major update such as OS updates only via smart switch..
Please don't use mobile data to update anything... its purely inconsistent

View solution in context

0 Likes
Solution
AjaiX2015
Active Level 7
Galaxy M
well
what he asking is how does the smart switch downloads the file without errors if it is downloading a larger file using the same network connection.

View solution in context

0 Likes
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy M
Already everyone cleared your doubts.
But here according to my knowledge in xda developers every update has a mapping files which consists of commands are whatever which says the recovery partition where to extract each file from new update and where to copy/replace. While downloading from ota if any fluctuations occurs those files just around 3mb size depending on update may gets corrupted.
Whereas in smartswitch whole firmware is being downloaded in encrypted zip then checked for errors if any then been installed on your phone. So everyone including me prefer smartswitch or odin for updating device. It is must to update major updates using smartswitch or service center.

View solution in context

Solution
AjaiX2015
Active Level 7
Galaxy M
Yes...
this was something I was looking for a while now.
But now is the real question.
all redmi updates are send as encrypted ziped files and are decrypted once downloaded. Why Samsung is not doing the same? or something better?.
Then everyone could just install updates without a heart attack.

View solution in context

Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy M
Except Samsung every other brands uses A/B partition if currently you are in A update will be installed in B partition. Next reboots to B and A partition is kept idle for next update. If any issues with current update roll back to A partition. In Samsung after downloading and decryption update file a set of mapping files will be cached to cache partition which then recovery partition uses to update system partition. It is not that everytime you get issue via ota but there is a chance. So better avoid it if update through smartswitch is possible.

Kindly check this for better understanding

https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Tech-Talk/Android-and-Partitions/td-p/4989712

View solution in context

Solution
AjaiX2015
Active Level 7
Galaxy M
I once asked Samsung regarding the A/B partition and why they are still holding to the old ways when the seamless update provides much more simplicity and safety for the update process. The answer was vogue.
Thanks for the link 🙂...

View solution in context

Solution
Aashish
Expert Level 4
Galaxy M
No bro it's not like that, even OTA updates are fully safe and stable. If there is corruption in OTA image then it is redownloaded. Smart Switch is advised sometimes because over many OTA installations the System optimisation doesn't remain 100%; Smart switch downloads the full firmware file and flashes it removing the pre-existing firmware but sparing all the files.

View solution in context

Solution
AjaiX2015
Active Level 7
Galaxy M
In any of the methods to update any smartphone always it is advised to backup the device before proceeding.
Also the better the network the lower the chance for errors.

View solution in context

Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy M
No you won't loose data. But yes it is best to take backup. Yes you can download using mobile hotspot but make sure you have enough data it consumes around 3.6gb+. And download without interruption.

View solution in context

Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy M
see bro Samsung allaways provides non A/ B partition Type Ota software not like other companies A/B partition Type hence there will be maximum chances to get software holes over software if you simply update it by using mobile data or wifi....and it will create various types of issues in devices by which this forum is full with....allaways try to install software by smart switch or odin flash or through authorised service center which is actually and recommended process 🤞( mobile data or wifi update problem in Samsung devices = battery drain faster, ui lag,poor game performance or game lag,display colour banding issue, brightness issue,battery not getting charge properly, battery charging stuck in on 85% ,poor camera photo quality etc various types of issues......)

View solution in context

24 Comments
Solution
AjaiX2015
Active Level 7
Galaxy M
Smart Switch installs the complete operating system while in the mobile device only the required update is installed.
I myself has never used the smart switch to install updates and have never encountered a problem. But I use a fast and stable WiFi network to update my device.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy M
Lucky th'o you have a Wifi
but would it be any difference in updating through SMART SWITCH or manually through settings??
0 Likes
Solution
Vishnu15
Active Level 6
Galaxy M
Bro the main thing you should update with smart switch is that it uodates whole of the system software even for a security patch update. Thus it is free of any software holes. Mobile data or wifi both are inconsistent. So u may get holes in the software while downloading, which leads to bugs. Thus ur phone crashes, heats up, lags and many things tend to happen
Solution
AjaiX2015
Active Level 7
Galaxy M
well
what he asking is how does the smart switch downloads the file without errors if it is downloading a larger file using the same network connection.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy M
@AjaiX2015 yup that's what i meant have you tried the SMART SWITCH way??
Vishnu15
Active Level 6
Galaxy M
i have tried using smart switch
0 Likes
AjaiX2015
Active Level 7
Galaxy M
Nope I haven't tried yet. But is planning to do it for the android 11 or one UI 2.1 update.
0 Likes
Solution
Vishnu15
Active Level 6
Galaxy M
Small security patch updates are okay to be downloaded using a fast and stable connection
But it is recommended to download a major update such as OS updates only via smart switch..
Please don't use mobile data to update anything... its purely inconsistent
0 Likes
Vishnu15
Active Level 6
Galaxy M
If u feel my answer suits ur question... please do accept my answer as solution by clicking 3 dots... to give me due credit
Thankyou bro
0 Likes