Original topic:

Magnetic sensor (Magnetometer) not functioning in Galaxy M02s

(Topic created on: 05-26-2021 07:18 PM)
AI86
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy M
I'm facing a peculiar problem on my Samsung Galaxy M02s, which was purchased less than 6 months ago.

I'm unable to use the Google maps app as well as the Compass app due to some issue with the Magnetometer (magnetic sensor) on the device.

Google maps worked perfectly fine when I last used it about 3 weeks ago. However, when I tried to use it today, I observed that the arror on the screen doesn't rotate when I rotate the phone (when it previously used to). I had updated my phone to the latest Android 11 and One UI about a week ago. Could it be the reason?

Has anyone face a similar issue?
15 Comments
Galaxy M
Have you done any updates recently
AI86
Active Level 1
Galaxy M
Yes. There was an Android 11 software update available. So updated the device about a week ago
0 Likes
Galaxy M
May be it was the issue
0 Likes
Galaxy M
After every major update do the factory reset , it will optimize the device hardware to latest software
0 Likes
AI86
Active Level 1
Galaxy M
I did a factory reset this afternoon thinking it might fix it. But no change. Still doesn't work :(
0 Likes
IcyJay30
Expert Level 3
Galaxy M
According to gsmarena.com this model doesn't have this sensor.
0 Likes
AI86
Active Level 1
Galaxy M
I see. Not sure what causing Google Maps to not function correctly then. There is an option to calibrate compass in Google Maps ('calibrate compass' option can be accessed by touching the blue location dot once you open the Google Maps app. It is on the bottom left corner). However, no matter how many times I tried to calibrate it, it still says "Compass accuracy: Low". The only reason I can think of is that the Magnetometer is malfunctioning.
0 Likes
IcyJay30
Expert Level 3
Galaxy M
Dial *#0*# from phone then select sensor.
Then see if this sensor is present or not.Screenshot_20210527-143715_HwModuleTest.png
0 Likes
AI86
Active Level 1
Galaxy M
Thanks for being so responsive! I tried this, but unfortunately doing this doesn't show anything on my phone and just stays on the dialer screen. I think they may have disabled doing it this way.

I understand from another member that the compass feature isn't working on their M02s as well. So you're right. This phone indeed doesn't have an inbuilt Magnetometer, which explains why the Compass wouldn't work. I personally feel that a Magnetometer should have included for two reasons-
1. These modules are very cheap, especially when sourced in bulk.
2. A compass is an important and handy tool to have on any phone. And practically every smartphone has this feature these days.
0 Likes